Memory Box Part 3

Breathtaking

"Bullocks," exclaimed Hermione when she realized that neither she nor Tom had any money to pay for anything.

"I'm sorry, but can I apparate back to fetch some money. Tom was in such a hurry that we forgot to bring any."

The dressmaker offered her a sad smile. "Men. A beautiful girl does not deserve a charlie." She sighed. "The boy is quite daft, best leave him before it is too late."

Hermione kept her face neutral though she was snickering on the inside. The dressmaker had Tom down to the tee. Too bad she had a serious misunderstanding of their relationship.

The woman waved Hermione off. "I'll scold him a good one for you. Oh, and try not to run off without paying. The dress will eat itself if you do," she warned before Hermione apparated back to Dippet Manor.

She side-stepped into her room. Quick as a flash, she changed out of the dress and deposited the masks onto the dressing table. After pulling out her allowance from Dippet, she apparated back to the dress shop.

"Sorry it took so long," apologized Hermione as soon as the inside of the shop surrounded her.

"You're right on time, dear." The seamstress gestured for Tom to lower his arms. "I just finished."

Hermione glanced to where Tom stood and felt her mouth go dry and her pulse stutter. Tom stood in front of the mirror, adjusting the collar of the shirt he was wearing. It was the same deep royal blue as her own dress. The only thing different was the lack of designs on it. The shirt and collar were both white while the tie was gold.

The color scheme was spectacular and looked amazing on him. It was as if that suit was specifically tailored for him. Which, it probably was. Hermione chided herself for the momentarily relapse and bad judgment. Tom may be handsome but she knew better to ever think that or to admit to it. It was unfair with how breathtakingly handsome he was, especially in a suit.

"What about the masks," drawled Tom.

"I dropped them off at the Manor with the gown," said Hermione as she handed the sack of coins to the seamstress.

She noticed Tom smiling out of the corner of her eye. Before she could even question it, he disappeared back in the changing room.

Another Day

Tom climbed up the stairs that led to the little alcove that had become his ans Hermione's favorite reading spot.

Hermione glanced up from her book before dipping her head down, becoming completely enraptured with what she was reading. That was one thing that they certainly had in common, their thirst for knowledge.

He picked up the book that he had been reading last and sat down beside her. He crossed his ankles and made himself comfortable before flipping open his book.

A comfortable silence fell over the two. This had become a part of their daily routine during summer break. It was unusual and out of character for him to let down his guard like this but it was quite refreshing.

They stayed like that for a few hours. Sitting side-by-side, reading intently while the outside world faded away.

His eyes began to droop as exhaustion took over. Practicing broom flying and maneuvers in the morning then expanding his knowledge and putting his brain to work with reading for hours after was beginning to make him tired.

He felt his eyes fully shut against his will. The last thing he remembered before entering into a dreamless sleep was the feel of something against his face and the feel of soothing fingers running through his hair.

...Husband...

Tom left Hermione alone in the grand ballroom as he went to fetch them some drinks. She looked around and found the two people that they were here for. Tom's grandparents.

His grandmother's costume was a beautiful simple yet elegant ivory green gown that hung off her shoulders. Hanging around her neck was a large simple diamond necklace that sparkled in the artificial light. Her hair was adorned with diamond encrusted pins that formed a loose flower. Her mask covered her eyes and was ivory in color with peridots thrown in around the eyes to create swirl like patterns.

Tom's grandfather was dressed in a simple ivory suit with a peridot colored tie. The peridots in his cufflinks sparkled with every movement. His mask covered half of his face and was peridot green. She knew from Tom that his grandparents didn't get along but no one would be none-the-wizer with their coordination skills.

"What a catch."

"One could just eat him up." Giggles followed this proclamation. Hermione admitted that Tom's grandfather was indeed handsome for his age but not enough to elicit that kind of attention.

She glanced toward the group the chatter was coming from. It was a group of seven young women who were raptly staring at someone behind her. Someone in the complete wrong direction of the host. Following their eyes, she found Tom. He was definitely someone deserving of the praise, it was just too bad that his character didn't match his looks.

"Hello, miss."

Startled, Hermione turned to find the host and hostess were now in front of her.

"Hello," she offered a curt curtsy, unsure of the customs during this time. "Thank you for hosting this lovely party."

Mrs. Riddle smiled softly without saying anything. Her blue eyes stared at Hermione unwaveringly.

"Are you here alone Miss-?"

"Norris. And no," she gestured toward where Tom was standing over by the drinks. "I came with my...husband..." Did she really just called Tom her husband?

Mr. Riddle glanced to where Tom was before looking back to Hermione. He looked down at her hands with a frown. "Husband, right." He cleared his throat before looking into her eyes. His eyes held suspicion in them. Did he recognize Tom?

His next words eased her racing heart. "I do not believe I recognize you or your...husband. How did you hear about our party?"

Hermione's eyes fell on the gaggle of girls who were still eyeing Tom hungrily. "My cousin invited us," she loosely gestured toward the gossiping girls. "I hope you do not mind?"

"None at all. I believe it is time to greet the other guests. Enjoy the rest of your evening."

Mrs. Riddle offered a warm smile. "Yes, please enjoy this evening with your partner." Her eyes sparkled with a knowing intelligence. Did she recognize Tom? She knew that Tom was closer to his grandmother than his grandfather.