A Time for Joy and Giving Thanks

Hermione sighed and reread the letter again.

Hermione,

I'm sorry that I'm writing this to you but I wanted to let you know that something has come up. Some visitors are here that need my attention, the staff Christmas party has been canceled. If you are not mad at me, I would like to spend the day after Christmas with you, just the two of us.

Your Grandfather, Armando Dippet.

Hermione found that she was actually disappointed to not spend the day with Dippet. He could be slightly dense, completely clueless, and a little out there but he was amusing and pleasant to be around.

She folded the letter up and stood up from her bed. She walked over to her writing desk and placed the parchment into a drawer. After a pause, Hermione waved her wand to unlock the middle drawer. Inside of it was the golden hourglass necklace. She picked it up with gentle hands and looked at it. Only a few grains of sand had passed through. It looked like the grains were still moving one at a time. She really didn't want to be stuck in this time for a few years but it looked like that was what was going to happen. And all she wanted to do was to get back to Harry and Ron.

Hermione sighed out in frustration before placing the Time-Turner back into its drawer. She waved her wand over it to strengthen the wards.

. . . .

Hermione walked into Dippet's office with his present held behind her back. She was nervous that her gift wasn't good enough.

"My dear," beamed Dippet. He gestured her over to the small sitting area that was set up in front of the fireplace. He took one chair and she took the other. "Tea?"

Hermione shook her head. "How about butterbeer?"

Dippet beamed at her with a twinkle in his eye. "An excellent choice!" He waved his wand and two pints of butterbeer appeared.

Hermione took hers and took a much needed sip. Hopefully it would help calm her nerves.

Dippet took a sip of his before settling back into the chair. "How is your break going so far?"

Hermione opened her mouth to reply but closed it. It seemed as if Newt Scamander hadn't told him about discovering her and Riddle spying on them or the Boggart in the woods. "Fine. Actually, it's been interesting." Dippet quirked an eyebrow, a gesture for her to explain in more detail. She really should have picked different words! "I saw that the guests consisted of people from the U.S. Ministry branch and Newt Scamander."

Dippet chuckled. "Yes. You seem quite interested. Are you curious about the policies of foriegn governments?"

She hadn't actually thought about it all that much. "I am," smiled Hermione, finding it was true. "I think I'm more interested in Newt Scamander. His fascination with magical creatures is informative."

"Happy to hear. Mr. Scamander was a former student and has agreed to sit in on Mr. Kettleburn's classes."

Hermione smiled brightly upon hearing the news. She could finally ask Newt Scamander all, or at least most of her questions. It would also hopefully calm down professor Kettleburn. The Care of Magical Creatures professor was a bit reckless and not very well-informed.

"Shall we exchange gifts?" Dippet rubbed his hands together gleefully.

Hermione felt her face heat up in embarrassment. "I wasn't really sure on what to get you."