The Time Traveler's Struggle

Hermione woke up the next morning on her own terms. It was the second day in a row that Tom had not been there to wake her.

She slipped out of bed and got dressed. It was Sunday which meant no classes and she would be meeting Dippet later. Today would be like any other day except without Tom and when it came time to meet with her great-great grandfather, she would vent. She really needed to vent.

She wasn't mad at Tom for taking the news the way he had. His emotions were delicate and it wasn't easy for him to trust anybody, and she broke that trust. She knew Tom would need lots of time to get over the fact that she lied to him. She was willing to give him that time.

No, she was angry with herself. She should have found a different way to tell him. Better yet, she should have told him sooner.

Hermione stomped her foot in frustration. Why did Tom have to plan a date! Everything would be fine if that stupid date hadn't happened!

She left her room and entered into the living room and stopped. Tom was standing across the room from her in front of his door.

"Tom." His name left her mouth in a breathy whisper. "Tom," said Hermione just a little bit louder and with more excitement.

Tom didn't even bother to look at her. "I just came to fetch a few of my belongings. I'll be staying in Slytherin again."

"Oh." At least he talked to her. She was expecting him to just blow her off. "I understand," was all she said. Hermione tore her eyes away from him. It would be better to just give him some space and that's exactly what she would do. She made her way to the portrait.

Hermione glanced down the hallway as the portrait sealed shut behind her. It was probably too early for breakfast. Maybe the library would be a good place to hang until it was time for breakfast.

. . . .

The library was not-so-surprisingly empty. Hermione grabbed a random book off of the shelf and sat down.

Normally, during this time, she would be out on the pitch practicing but Fleamont had canceled practice for the day and the rest of the week since winter break was just around the corner.

A loud sigh escaped from her lips. She had planned a surprise for Tom for his birthday but from the looks of things, they will probably still be on 'not-speaking' terms. Why did she have to fall in love with the emotionally unstable boy?

"Hermione."

Hermione glanced up to see a scowling Fleamont. When did Fleamont ever scowl? He was the happy-go-lucky kind of person that rarely ever showed an angry look. "Fleamont?"

He slid into the seat across from hers'. "Why did you break-up with Tom." It wasn't a question but more like a demand.

Hermione couldn't help the confused look that covered her face. When did she break-up with Tom? Why would she break up with him?

"Don't give me that look," Fleamont's voice was accusing.

Hermione sighed. She placed the book that she had not been reading onto the table. "I didn't break-up with him."

"If you didn't break-up with him, then why is he upset and heartbroken?" asked Fleamont.

Did Tom really tell him that? Hermione wanted nothing more than to run to Tom right then.