Welcome to Quidditch

Hermione woke up early the next day. The plan was to grab a quick breakfast then find somewhere to hide out till classes started. It was unfortunate that she had a free period during first period, and so did Tom.

She got dressed quickly and cracked open her door and peered out. The small common room that she shared with Tom was clear. Yep, she was avoiding Tom, again. This time it was because she was mad at him for still trying to become Lord Voldemort.

She slung her bag over her shoulders and crept quietly out of the dorm. With it being so early, the hallways were mostly empty. The Great Hall was pretty much the same. Only a few scarce bodies were awake and spread out. Fleamont Potter was one of them.

"You're never this early," joked Hermione when she reached Fleamont.

He smiled at her, bits of toast showing. "First day of practice," said Fleamont after he gulped down his food. "Wanted to get a practice in this morning before tryouts at the end of this week." Hermione had to admit that Fleamont was dedicated to quidditch. "You should join us, maybe play chaser?"

Hermione was about to turn down his offer when she realized that he was offering exactly what she wanted, a place to hide from Tom. "Sure, though I'm not any good." She smiled weakly. "I couldn't beat Tom once."

Fleamont's smile grew and his brown eyes twinkled. "No one has beaten Riddle. That's why we make sure to have the best seeker."

"You shouldn't let all the praise go to your head," joked Hermione.

"Wouldn't dream of it." Fleamont then took a bite of his apple. "We'll head to the pitch after you finish eating."

After Hermione ate, she walked with Fleamont out to the pitch. Why did she ever agree to do this?

Hermione was leaning against the changing rooms waiting for everyone. "Ugh! I forgot my broom!" How was she supposed to play quidditch without a broom?

She heard someone chuckle but paid no mind. She figured it was Fleamont.

"Here, borrow mine."

Puzzled, Hermione looked up to find Tom holding his broom out to her. "Tom!" What was he doing here?

"Are you gonna take it?" He started to pull the broom away, "If you don't need it-"

"No!" Hermione grabbed the broom from him and she swore he smiled. "Thank you, but what are you doing here?"

Tom quirked an eyebrow and he wore an amused expression. "Practice. Wanted to get some in before the Gryffindors showed up."

Now that Tom said that, she noticed that his hair was slick back with sweat instead of gel. His outfit was also askew and there was a smudge of dirt on his face. He never looked more handso-nope, she would not finish that sentence.

A smirk appeared on his perfectly peached li-nope, she wouldn't finish that sentence either. "Just don't damage it," said Tom in a sarcastic, grating tone.

Fleamont walked out of the changing room followed by the others to find Hermione glaring at Tom. "You ready?" asked Fleamont.

"Yeah, but I don't have an outfit."

"You can always borrow mine." Hermione's face heated up with Tom's words and most of the people there were staring with their mouths agape. "I have a spare," chuckled Tom after Hermione tried and failed to formulate a response.

"Keep it. I'll just change into my spare set of robes," said Hermione as she pushed her way past Tom. She could never have imagined that the young Dark Lord would be able to joke, let alone as much as Tom frequently did.

. . . .

Hermione's feet touched the ground and she unmounted her broom-well Tom's broom.

"That was brilliant. Tom told me you were good but not this good."

"Tom?" asked Hermione.

"He wrote to me," chuckled Fleamont. He held out his hand to her. "Congratulations, you made the team."

"What?" Did she just hear him correctly? Team?

Fleamont's smile broadened at her flabbergasted state. "This was your tryout and you made it! You're now the new Gryffindor chaser!"

"What?" Hermione realized that she was starting to sound like a broken record. She only asked that many 'what's' when she was questioning one of Harry or Ron's plans. And she really couldn't do quidditch. She didn't have the time, not with studies, homework, studying, and Head Girl activities.

"I don't have the time."

Fleamont waved away her excuse. "If Riddle can do it, then so can you. He does everything you do and still has time to be captain of the Slytherin quidditch team."

He had a point. Tom did all of that plus lead a group of rowdy Slytherins in secret. She sighed in defeat, "fine."

Fleamont slung an arm over her shoulder. "I knew you would do it."

She couldn't believe she was just conned. She was so going to get Fleamont for this. And Tom for even suggesting it to Fleamont.