Muffliato

"Oh, look at the time," sighed Dippet.

Hermione did as he said. Her mouth fell agape when she realized she had spent the evening and a good part of the night with her grandfather. Tom never returned which meant that he spent nearly six hours to himself doing Merlin knows what. She needed to leave to make sure he wasn't beating himself up. And they still had their nightly patrol to do.

She jumped up from her seat and gave her grandfather a quick hug. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight, my dear," chuckled Dippet as he returned her hug. "And remember, only time will tell."

"Yes, grandfather." She knew he meant that she should give Abraxas and Fleamont time. And time is what she will give them. Those two had become almost as dear to her as Ron and Harry.

She left Dippet's room and set forth to hers'. She didn't make it very far before she was stopped by none-other than professor Dumbledore.

"Hello, professor," greeted Hermione. She felt like she had betrayed him and didn't want to deal with him. It hurt her to even think about how disappointed he would be in her.

"Greetings, miss Norris. Do you have a moment to spare?"

Ugh! "Yes, professor, but only a moment. You see, I have to start the nightly patrol soon," Hermione rambled.

"Yes, of course. This won't take very long." He ushered her into his office. "Muffliato."

That was the second time she had heard him use the spell. She knew why she knew it since she was from the future but there was no way that Dumbledore should know of it. "How do you know that spell? I was pretty sure that professor Snape invented it?" Shoot, she spoke without thinking!

Dumbledore chuckled, drawing her attention to him. "The spell is my own invention but not known. There are many spells, potions, and inventions that I and even headmaster Dippet have not made public."

"Oh." What interesting spells did Dippet know that were unknown to the public in the future?

"It seems that this particular spell will remain as non-existing until this Snape comes along."

Hermione cringed with his words. She had not meant to reveal the future so readily. She only did that with Tom and Dippet.

"Why did you wish to speak with me sir?" she asked as a way to change the topic.

"Ah, yes. We faculty have a small bet going on. Will you be willing to give a hint to your professor as to whether you and Mr. Riddle will develop your relationship further. What I'm asking is if the two of you may marry sometime after graduation."

"Wh-what!" Did she hear right? Did professor Dumbledore really ask if she was going to marry Tom? And why did he look happy? "Excuse me, I thought you hated Tom Riddle?"

"I do not hate him. I knew what he was up to and so that was why I was hard on him. You see, Dippet and I both tried to help the lad but took different approaches. It seemed you were the missing link that we needed to help heal him. The letter I wrote to myself also mentioned this and wanted me to inform you during this time that you are following the right path."

"What?"

Professor Dumbledore took out his pocket watch. "Dear me, look at the time. I believe it is best for you to be on your way."

He wasn't going to answer her? How could someone say something like that and not give an explanation!

Instead of arguing like she wanted too, she obeyed her professor. One of these days she will get the answers that she wanted. But she knew that today wouldn't be that day. Dumbledore had effectively shut down her questions. She left the room bewildered and quickly made her way to her dorm all the while mauling over their conversation.

She stepped through the portrait to find Tom waiting for her. "Why does it look like you have a million questions?"

"I do. Sorry I took so long." She looked him over but instead of looking dejected, he looked to be in a good mood. "Did something happen?"

Tom wrapped her in his arms and smiled. "The Knights of Walpurgis are officially disbanded and Fleamont has decided not to cut ties with us."

"What! Really?" Tom nodded. "That's great news!" She leaned up on her tiptoes and pressed a quick kiss to his nose.

"That's all I get?"

Hermione chuckled at the childish complaint. "Yep." Then she kissed him on the lips.