Meeting Dippet and Riddle

Dumbledore knocked on the door leading to the headmaster's office. The office that Dippet resided in during this time.

"Come in!" Said a cheery voice from behind the wooden door.

Dumbledore pushed open the door and walked in, followed by a nervous Hermione. "Headmaster Dippet, I'm afraid I bring terrible . . . and good news."

Dippet looked questingly at Dumbledore. Hermione's heart broke at the news that he was about to receive.

"A letter came today." Dumbledore placed the letter containing the tragic news in front of Dippet.

Dippet's smile faltered as he looked at the letter. He picked it up and began to read it outloud. "Perhaps you should read it to yourself," suggested Dumbledore.

Hermione watched as tears flowed from the headmaster's eyes, running down his face. "My. . . my. . . daughter. . . my precious, Maureen." Dippet's voice broke.

Hermione stifled a sniffle. She would not cry, though she so dearly wanted to.

"I thought you said you had some good news!" Shouted Dippet hysterically.

Dumbledore placed a hand in between Hermione's shoulder blades and pushed her forward. "Introduce yourself, child," said Dumbledore kindly.

She looked between the two in confusion and dread. Confusion that she had to put on the act right at this moment and dread at giving this poor man some hope.

"I'm Hermione, Hermione Nor. . .Norris," stuttered Hermione.

Dippet continued to look at her in confusion. Tears dribbled down his face, becoming lost in his long white beard. He then looked to Dumbledore.

Dumbledore bowed his head. "It is true. She is the sole survivor of the town."

"I. . . I have a. . . granddaughter?" Asked Dippet as he continued to stare at Dumbledore in complete shock.

Dumbledore nodded in confirmation.

A broken smile filled Dippet's wizened face. "I have a granddaughter!" Before Hermione could blink, Dippet had wrapped her in a hug. "I have a granddaughter!"

He pulled away to look at her. "Hermione. Maureen always loved that name." His smile faltered at the thought of his daughter. "Ho. . . how did it happen?"

Hermione gulped when Dumbledore said nothing. "They were planning on escaping, but Grindewald's forces showed up sooner than expected. They didn't. . ." Hermione's voice failed her as she couldn't think of a lie fast enough. It appeared as if it wasn't needed. Dippet hugged her once again.

"Where are you to stay?" Asked Dippet in hopeful yearning.

"You are her only surviving relative. You may have her stay here and attend Hogwarts, allow her to develop and perfect her magic while having a chance for her to get to know you," supplied Dumbledore.

Dippet clapped his hands together. "What a splendid idea. We'll have to see what house you'll be placed in. You'll probably be a Hufflepuff just like your mother, and we'll have to have someone to tutor you, to help catch you up to. . .how old are you, my dear?" Asked Dippet.

Hermione opened her mouth to answer but then closed it. Lord Voldemort graduated in 1945 which would make him a sixth year this year. "I just turned sixteen, sir."

Dippet clapped his hands once again. "Terrific! You'll be a sixth year. That means you'll be in the same grade as Mr. Riddle, our star pupil. I'll see if he could. . ."

Hermione's blood boiled at the thought of Lord Voldemort tutoring her. "I may not have attended magic school, but my mother made sure I was well prepared. She taught me herself." Interrupted Hermione.