Refugees. . .and a Muggle!

The Fat Lady swung open and Hermione stepped through. The common room was crowded with students hanging out for a final time before Christmas Break. Most of the students would be leaving tomorrow which both sadden and lightened her heart.

Ignatius Prewett, Kathleen's cousin, saw Hermione entere and waved for her to join him and Lucretia. Ignatius had barely spoken a word to Hermione when she first arrived but after the death of his cousin, he seemed to be making it his mission to become Hermione's older brother. What is with ninteen-forties men and trying to act as brothers?

"Are you going home tomorrow?" greeted Hermione.

Ignatius shook his head. "I've decided to spend the first half of the break with my aunt and uncle."

Lucretia wrapped her hand in Ignatius's. Lucretia was a Black but she was much more like Sirius than any of the other Blacks. Something that Hermione was secretly glad of.

"That's good."

"Try not to spend too much time in the library while we are away." Lucretia's voice was light and bell-like.

"I promise," not to tell you.

"This will be a splendid chance for you to spend time with your grandfather," said Ignatius in his big-brother tone.

"Have you decided on what you are getting him?"

Hermione shook her head. "I'm heading into Hogsmead Saturday to look. I'm thinking about finding him a book." Hermione still didn't know too much about Dippet but she had learned of his fondness toward books, art, and poetry.

Lucretia frowned. "That sounds impersonal."

"The only thing that I really know about him is his love for things of art," admitted Hermione.

Ignatius shifted in his seat to pull Lucretia closer to him. "You should ask Riddle. Out of all the students, Dippet tends to spend a great deal of time with him."

Hermione bit her tongue to keep from shouting profanities at the idea of asking Riddle for help. She didn't tell anyone about Riddle's involvement with Kathleen's death, especially Ignatius and Lucretia, for fear of the same fate being thrusted upon them. "I'll think about it," said Hermione instead.

. . . .

Hermione woke to a cold, snow covered Saturday. She really should have went looking for a present for Dippet a lot sooner.

She sat in the carriage curled up in her jacket. She was rather envious with how the cold did not seem to bother the Thestrals that pulled her carriage.

When the carriage came to a stop, Hermione jumped out and gave the Thestrals a pat on the head. Their black, leathery death-like skin still creeped her out but not as much as it had when she had first seen them.

Hermione walked around Hogsmead for a bit before going into the bookstore. She meandered through the aisles, caressing every book she saw. Unfortunately, she did not know which books he already owned.

As Hermione was leaving, a quill and stack of parchment caught her attention. Hanging from the quill was a phrase that she had heard Dippet use on many occasions and the parchment had several pictures of wizarding national monuments printed on it. She paid for the quill and parchment and left the store. Maybe she should find something else for Dippet as well. The gifts she bought seemed a little impersonal to her.

After walking around for several more hours, Hermione gave up and left for Hogwarts. She took the secret passageway back to get out of the cold. She loved Winter and snow but it was starting to snow quite heavily and she was becoming cold.