Auntie Muriel

Hermione said the password that allowed the gargoyle to slide open. She jogged up the steps two at a time ready for the distraction that her 'supposed grandfather' would bring.

"Come in, my dear," said Dippet before Hermione even had the chance to knock on his door.

"You wanted to see me, sir?" Hermione watched as the corner of Dippet's lips dipped downward into a frown for a split second before turning into a warm smile. Hermione knew that she should call the man grandfather since he believed she was his granddaughter but she couldn't bring herself to do it.

Dippet gestured to the chair in front of his desk. "Have a seat, my dear." Hermione did as he suggested and gingerly sat herself down. When she had first arrived in this time period she saw how differently the people in this time sat compared to her own time. She didn't want to give herself away with something as silly as sitting. Especially now that Riddle was suspicious of a time traveler being in his midst. She wanted to do everything she could to not draw that suspicion onto herself though she had to admit that she was doing a poor job of it.

She must have been making a face because Dippet moved his chair till it was beside hers. He sat down and began patting her leg. "There, there," said Dippet soothingly. "I just wanted to let you know that her funeral will be taking place here on school grounds during the weekend." Hermione's eyes widened at the knowledge. The only person she had ever heard of having a funeral on school grounds was Dumbledore. Dippet must have seen her confusion because he did some kind of weird chortle that was somehow comforting and more polite than rude. "Her mother believed it would be for the best so that all of her friends may attend."

"Her aunt?"

Dippet gave her a quizzical look. "Did you not know, my dear?" What was Hermione supposed to know? She was too afraid to say no for fear it would give away her true identity. She must have taken too long to answer because Dippet took her silence for an answer. "Did you know your mother's middle name was Kathleen?" Hermione shook her head 'no'. "Do you still have that photograph of your mother that I gave you?"

Hermione took the photograph out of the protected pocket of her uniform. She wasn't sure why but she felt like she had to keep the picture on her at all times. Something about it called to her.

Dippet pointed to her 'mother'." Maureen Kathleen Carter, also known as Maureen Kathleen Norris nee Dippet." He then pointed to the redhead that was beside Maureen. "Muriel Hermione Prewett." Prewett? Where did Hermione recognize that name from?

"The two of them were the closest of friends," continued Dippet. "They were from different houses but still found comrade. When they were still in school, they promised each other that if they were to ever have daughters, they'd name their daughters after each other. Maureen was already in love with the name Hermione and having it be the name of her best friend only cemented her desire in naming her daughter that." Dippet smiled lovingly down at her.

"Kathleen was Muriel's daughter?" asked Hermione tentatively.

Dippet nodded in confirmation. "I wish I told you two sooner. It had just seemed as if you girls had already known."

Hermione traced a finger over Muriel. She vowed to try to make things right with this woman.

. . .

Hermione ran her hands over the ankle length dress that she wore. Dippet had taken her shopping so that she would have something to wear to the funeral.

Taking one last look in the mirror, she walked out of her room. The common room was eerily quiet. Everyone must already be in the courtyard.

Hermione stepped out into the hallway. Sadly, she was the only one there. She really did not want to be alone.

"Finally."

Hermione gritted her teeth together. On the other hand, being alone sounded rather perfect right now.

Riddle jogged up to her. "You are always the first one to the classroom so I arrived early this morning to fetch you. Just my luck, you would be the last one to leave."

"Go away," Hermione bit the words out.

"No." Riddle adjusted the tie around his neck, conjuring thoughts of strangling him with it within her. "I will not let you walk by yourself. These halls are much too dangerous."

She couldn't take it anymore. Hermione whirled around to face him with a snarl. "The only danger here is you! Stay away from the funeral! I do not want to see you or either of your cronies!" Her words were mere hisses. She didn't want to risk someone over hearing them.

Riddle stopped. Was it her imagination or did he just gulp?

"Is that what you really want?" asked Riddle.

"Yes," with that, she turned away from him. Her heart sank with relief when she heard his footsteps retreat in the opposite direction.

Hermione spent the rest of the walk to the courtyard trying to calm her racing nerves.

She walked into the open courtyard. A subtle breeze blew through, calming her pent up nerves. The chattering of everyone around her helped to ground her.

"There you are, my dear."

Hermione looked up to find Dippet walking towards her. Beside him was a woman with curly red hair. She wore a fancy grey overcoat and had large pink pearl earrings dangling from her earlobes. Hermione was struck with a sense of familiarity.

"I wanted to introduce you to someone," said Dippet once he reached her. He gestured to the woman beside him. "This is your mother's best friend and Kathleen's mother, Muriel."

Much to Hermione's surprise, Muriel swept her up into a hug. "I was so glad that my darling Kathleen was able to meet you." Muriel pulled away but did not release Hermione. "You know, your mother sent me a message the day you were born. I never thought that I would ever get the chance to meet you."

Her words sent Hermione's head wheeling. Message? The day she was born? Did Maureen and Hank have a daughter? Was Dippet's real granddaughter somewhere out there? Was she still alive?

"Hermione, dear, are you alright?" asked Dippet with a concerned look.

Muriel released her from her grip. "I must have overwhelmed the poor girl." Muriel gave her another hug before saying, "we find ourselves in a sad situation but if you ever need the advice of a mother, you know how to find me."

As Muriel and Dippet left to meet the masses, Hermione was finally able to place the woman. Muriel Prewett was Molly Weasley's aunt. Hermione had just met the younger version of Auntie Muriel. Her heart began to ache for the gossiper.

Hermione was struck with another realization. The new information that Aunt Muriel had given provided the explanation for why Riddle had confided in her when he saw the photograph. Maureen must have mentioned her daughter's name to him.

This must have been why Dumbledore sent her back. She was the only one who could get through some of Riddle's defences. She also had the unique opportunity to help both Dippet and Muriel. Pounding a fist into the palm of her hand, she vowed to find the real Hermione Norris while keeping up this charade.