Chapter 1: Churros

Hazel's POV

"Hazel! ¡Levantarse de la cama! ¡Tu mamá estará en casa pronto!" (Hazel! Get out of bed your mom will be here soon!)

"Uggggggg" I groaned and rolled over pushing my head as far as I could into my pillow before snuggling under the blankets.

"¡Vamos, tienes escuela hoy!" (Come on, you have school today!) The voice drifted closer down the hall and I knew my Abuela would be coming into my room soon to get me up. I scrunched my eyes shut and tried to focus on the silent pull of sleep.

"¡Vamos!" Suddenly the blankets were ripped off me and the cold air touched my body. I popped one eye open and turned my head slightly to see my Abuela standing there with her hands on her hips.

"¡Tu mamá estuvo trabajando toda la noche! ¡Llegará a casa en 15 minutos y tú y yo sabemos que ella querría que estuvieras vestida y lista para la escuela!" (Your mom was working all night! She is coming home in 15 minutes and you and I both know she would want you dressed and ready for school!) My Abuela continues as she pulled open my light grey dresser draws and started fishing around looking for something for me to wear. She glanced over her shoulder and when she sees I haven't moved she stalks over and pulls the pillow out from under my head causing me to groan and reluctantly sit up. I rub my eyes and look at my Abuela with annoyance. She waves her hand shaking the look away and turns back to my dresser. I notice she is wearing an apron and as I inhale I can smell the sweet surgery sent of churros.

"Fresco fuera del horno. ¡Deja de oler, vístets y ven a comer!" (Fresh out of the oven. Stop smelling, get dressed and come eat!) Abuela says as she walks out of my room. I sigh and pull myself out of bed. I walk over to my dresser and scan my clothes twice before my eyes land on my white button-up shirt. I pull it out and close my middle drawer before opening my bottom one and choosing camo pants. I grab an orange shoelace off the top of my dresser to use as a belt.

(This is what her clothes/jewellery/hair looks like!)

Walking into the bathroom I shower, wash my face, and dress quickly. Pulling my long wavy brown hair into a half up half down knot, I put a little mascara on deciding to skip eyeshadow. I go back into my room and grab my black low top converse. As I walk down the hall I tug my socks on and teal anklet. It is one bracelet but it has many strings and tiny silver stones are tied in. My mom got it for me over the summer and I wear it when I know she will have to work late at the hospital because it reminds me of her. As I step into our small kitchen/living room/dining room I place my rings on my fingers.

"¡Cariño, sírvete!" (Honey, help yourself!) My Abuela says pointing to the counter where a plate of steaming hot churros is sitting.

"Gracias Abuela," I say as I grab a plate from the cabinet. Grabbing two churros I sit down at our small rectangular dining table and dig in. Halfway through my second churro and a conversation about school, I hear the key enter the lock, turn, and my mom walks through the door. I turn my head and look at her. She is still wearing her hospital scrubs, she has small bags under her eyes her hair is a bit frizzy, poking out of her loose ponytail, and she looks like she hasn't slept in a week, probably cause she hasn't. I place my churro on my plate and slide out of my chair to help her with her bag.

"Oh Mija I got it," her tired voice says.

"Ok, So how was work last night?" I ask.

"Umm...it was good! Yeah, it was good," My mom says as she puts her bag on the end of the table with her keys. "I'm gonna go change ok? And then I'll be right back to say goodbye before you head off to school?"

"Ok yeah," I smiled. I bend down to retie my shoe and I'm pretty sure I hear my Abuela mumble something about overworking.

"Hazel, ven a buscar a tus mamás unos churros," (Hazel, come get your mom some churros.) Abuela says handing me another plate. "y acaba el tuyo!" (And finish yours!) she adds. I put some churros on the plate and take my last bite of mine. My mom comes out of her room in a red blouse with simple blue jeans. Her curly hair is tied back in a half-up have down red ponytail and she looks a little less tired.

"Ready for school?" She asks while grabbing my backpack from the corner of the living room.

"Si mamá," I say taking my backpack from her and handing her the plate of churros in exchange.

"Thank you, honey," She smiles before setting the plate down and pulling me into a hug. "Have a good day ok?"

"I will. I love you."

"I love you too sweetie," We stand in a hug for a second longer before we pull back and I head to the door. Grabbing my keys I turn around "I love you Abuela!"

"Te amo," (I love you) She calls back. I close the door and lock it on my way out. I open the zipper of my backpack and pull out my helmet. Snapping it around my chin I unchain my bike and hop on, starting my ride to school.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note!

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of my story! Thank you for reading! I can't speak Spanish very well so if you see any spots where I wrote something wrong please let me know so I can fix it! Same goes with the English there might be typos so feel free to correct me!