Chapter 13: Closing the Dojo

Hazel's POV

I woke up from my nap feeling horrible. I pulled myself out of bed and walked into the bathroom where I looked into the mirror. My eyes were red and puffy from my tears, my hair was messy, and I was still wearing Miguel's clothes which were now wrinkled and covered in tears. I walked back to my room and plopped back down on my bed. Not even two minutes later, my mom knocked on the door.

"Come in," I said, sitting up a bit.

"Hey honey," She said, opening the door and closing it behind her.

"Hi."

"Do you want to talk?" She asked, sitting on the end of my bed. I sat up all the way and before I could stop myself the whole story gushed out. I told her about seeing Miguel on the bathroom floor last night, I told her about my horror when I realized who hurt him, I told her about bringing Miguel home and about Carmen yelling at Johnny, I told her about how I spent the night and took care of Miguel, I told her about the no karate rule, I told her about how I was brought in the middle and I couldn't take his side, and finally, I told her about how Miguel yelled at me to get out. I left out the part about him calling me a jerk though. When I finished talking my mom was sitting there quietly rubbing small circles on my back.

"So what do you think? Am I overreacting? " I asked.

"No, honey. I understand. He put you in an uncomfortable position by putting you in the middle of their fight. And then, despite you helping him and being kind to him, he yelled at you."

"He also may or may not have called me a jerk," I whispered. My mom didn't say anything for a minute but when she spoke I could hear she was a little mad.

"That was very inappropriate of him. I'm sorry he called you that," She said.

"But mom, he's one of my best friends. I just feel so..."

"I know sweetie. And I don't think you should stop being his friend. I just think you might want to think about how this made you feel. Forgive him when you're ready," She said. "Why don't you take a shower and get dressed. It might make you feel better. Hang out with Sam or Aisha? Take a break from Miguel?" My mom said as she left my room and closed the door.

30 minutes later I was showered, dressed, and sitting on my couch. I hadn't looked at my phone since last night and when I looked at it I was surprised to see I had a bunch of texts from Sam. I unlocked my phone and read my texts quickly before responding.

Sam🌺💛

My dad just ruined my night.

Are you still at the dance? I want to talk.

Hazel?

Text me when you see this

Hazel💜⚓

Hey. What's up?

Sam🌺💛

My dad sucks.

Hazel💜⚓

Haha. I'm gonna need more of an explanation.

Sam🌺💛

Are you coming to school tomorrow? Maybe we can talk then.

Hazel💜⚓

Yeah. Let's talk at lunch.

Miguel's POV