Chapter 7: Walking With Miguel

Hazel's POV

The day after I brought Miguel's family the pie, I woke up super early. When I rolled over in my bed to look at the clock it read 4:00. I groaned. I knew I won't be able to fall back asleep so I picked myself up out of bed and crept into the kitchen. My phone was on the counter and I went to grab it. I was the only person at my entire school that couldn't sleep with their phone in their room. My mom and Abuela always made me put it in the kitchen until the morning. I unlocked my phone and sat on the couch scrolling through Instagram and my texts. At about 4:30 I hopped off the couch put my phone back on the counter. I tiptoed to the bathroom and turned on the shower making sure to be quiet as I undressed and got in. Warm water ran down my body as I quickly showered. After I finished my shower I slipped on my light blue jeans, brown belt, and grey sweater. I put on the same rings I always wear and I pulled my hair into a gold triangle clip.

 I put on the same rings I always wear and I pulled my hair into a gold triangle clip

(Hazel's outfit)

(Hazel's outfit)

I checked my clock as I left my bedroom, 5:00. I walked into the kitchen and pulled out the book I had been reading a lot lately. I curled up on the couch and picked up right where I left off.

"Hazel?" The light flicked on and I turned my head. My mom was standing there already in her hospital scrubs looking pretty tired and a bit confused. "Mija, what are you doing up? It's only 5:30," My mom said, glancing at the small clock attached to the oven.

"I couldn't sleep," I replied, closing my book and standing up.

"You're dressed and showered? How long have you been up? What woke you?" She asked as she walked into the kitchen.

"I haven't been awake too long, I just didn't feel like sleeping," I said as I followed her into the kitchen. "What are you doing up so early?"

"Oh, honey I have to go to work. I got a call a couple of minutes ago. The hospital is busy. And I have to show the new nurse around," She said.

"Ok, well do you want something for breakfast? We could eat together."

"Mija, I would love to eat with you, but I don't think I have time," She said, looking sadly at me. "But why don't you make some pancakes while you wait for Abuela to wake up? You two can have a nice breakfast before you go to school."

"Yeah, ok. But at least eat something small."

"Alright honey," She said grabbing a banana off the counter and holding it up. I smiled and handed her her bag. She took it and slipped the banana inside. "I love you, sweetie, Have a great day," She said, kissing the top of my head.

"I love you too mamá," I said giving her a quick hug before pulling back and starting to take the ingredients for pancakes out of the kitchen shelves. My mom smiled and then turned to the door grabbing her jacket and keys on the way out. A few seconds later I heard voices outside and I went to the window and peeked out the curtain. My mom was standing outside and another woman was coming out of Miguel's apartment also dressed in hospital scrubs. They were shaking hands and introducing themselves.

"I'm Carmen," Miguel's mom said.

"Nice to meet you! I'm Isabelle. The hospital said I would be showing a new nurse around but I didn't know it would be someone who lives in our building!" My mom replied as they made their way to the parking lot. I watched until they were out of sight and then I went to make pancakes my mind not leaving the thought that my mom and Migue's mom were now working together.

"Entonces, tu mamá va a salir después de la escuela, ¿Por qué no invitas a Sam?" (So, your mom is going to be out after school, Why don't you invite Sam over?) Abuela said. We were sitting at the table eating pancakes and strawberries.

"Uhh... I think Sam is busy today," I said looking down at my plate.

"Ok, ¿qué hay de Aisha?" (Ok, what about Aisha?) Abuela asked making me lookup. I nodded.

"I'll ask her," I said giving her a small smile. Sam and I used to be great friends. We were inseparable. But then Sam started hanging out with Yasmine and Moon and something happened between her and Aisha. Then she just stopped hanging out with us. Sam and I still text but we haven't hung out in a while. Yasmine and Moon are bitches but I understand why Sam wants to be their friend. I know what it's like to wish you were popular. Yasmine and Moon are always saying mean things to Aisha about her weight and even though Sam has never said anything, she hasn't told them to stop. I honestly miss Sam and her family but I would never leave Aisha. My mom knows about all this but I don't think my Abuela does.

When I stepped out of my apartment closing the door behind me, I saw Miguel leaving his apartment too. I waved and he smiled walking over to me.

"Heading off to school?" I asked as he walked over.

"Yeah, you?" He replied. I nodded. "Well, we could walk together. You know, only if you want," He added.

"That sounds nice," We started walking away from the apartment building and down the block. "So how was your first day of school?" I asked.

"Umm... it was ok I guess. I made some friends, but also some enemies." I chuckled.

"Enemies on your first day? Wow! Who?"

"Uh, well there is this boy, his name is Kyler I think, and he doesn't really like me. And then I made friends with two boys. One is named Demetri and the other is Eli," Miguel said.

"Wow. Yeah, I know Kyler and his friends. Their all jerks, I would definitely steer clear of them. And I know Demetri and Eli! They're sweet. A little weird but also sweet," I said smiling as we continued the walk to school. Miguel and I continued to walk and talk until we got to school.

"Hazel!" Aisha called waving her hand to call me over.

"Oh uh... that's my friend Aisha. I should probably go over to her..." I said looking at Miguel feeling a little bad.

"Oh! Uh... yeah sure... Of course," He replied looking a little sad.

"But um... I'll see you later ok? This was fun. We should walk again sometime," Miguel perked up at those words and he nodded. I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek leaving him blushing like a mad man as I scurried off towards Aisha.

___________________________________

Author's Note

I cannot believe that I have 89 views! Just yesterday it was 50! I know that this chapter was sort of like a filler just to have Miguel and Hazel get closer. Sorry! Thank you so much for reading!