Chapter 9: Dinner at the Larusso's

(Author's Note: Sorry it's been a few days since I updated!)

Hazel's POV

"Cyberbullying is no laughing matter. Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face," We were sitting in the cafeteria and a guidance counsellor was talking into a microphone about cyberbullying. I was sitting at my usual table with Aisha but since Miguel's table was across from ours we were texting a little bit and we kept glancing at each other. Most students were on their phones and I don't think many people were paying attention.

"I'm not gonna say names, but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity," She continued. Everyone started whispering and making fun of Eli because it was obviously him. He covered his lip and looked down. I looked over at his table as Miguel tried to comfort him.

"But today, our goal here is to make school a safe place for all students," The counsellor went on. I looked over at Miguel and he was whispering to Demetri and Eli. I caught a few words like 'bullied', 'karate dojo', and 'recruits.' I sighed. Miguel has been trying to get me to join and on the walk to school today he was worried that the dojo would close if no students came. He said he had to start advertising and it made me feel bad. I wanted to join but I was worried about my mom and I also just wasn't sure. I turned my attention back to the guidance counsellor as she continued talking.

"Oh, and one last thing. While we're all looking forward to the Halloween dance, let's make sure our costumes are culturally sensitive. For example, instead of "sexy nurse," maybe try "gender-neutral hospital employee." All the students started giggling when she said these words and I rolled my eyes. Aisha pushed her chair back away from our table to talk to Sam.

"Hey! I got a great idea for our costumes this year," She said. Since we were little Sam and Aisha always went as something from science together. I always went as something else because I didn't like science very much but we always trick or treated together.

"Um..." Sam started but Aisha cut her off.

"I was thinking I go as sodium, and you go as chloride. And when people ask what we are, we do this," Aisha said grabbing the salt off our table and shaking it in the air. Sam giggled and Yasmine spoke up.

"What is that, some dumb inside joke you guys have?"

"I mean, it's not really "inside," Aisha said, "Sodium and chloride is table salt," Aisha chuckled.

"Yeah, I was kidding," Yasmine said leaning back. I tried to hide my smile because it was obvious she had no idea what Aisha was talking about and she seemed upset about it.

"We actually decided to go as Laker Girls," Sam said pointing to Yasmine, Moon, and herself.

"Oh," Aisha said, clearly upset.

"But maybe we could order another," Sam said offering sweetly.

"There one-size-fits-all," Yasmine cut in quickly, "which suddenly seems like false advertising," Yasmine said rudely as she looked Aisha up and down. I crinkled my nose in disgust. There was nothing wrong with Aisha's weight, she just wasn't as skinny as Yasmine. A couple of girls giggled at Yasmine's comment and I was about to defend Aisha when she pulled her chair back towards the table and looked down. Sam didn't laugh at Yasmine's joke but she didn't say anything to defend Aisha either. She looked like she felt bad but she just looked down. I heard my phone chime so I pulled it out of my pocket.

Miguel 🥋💕

Are you going to the Halloween dance?

Hazel🦋💙