Chapter 6: Demetri and Eli

Miguel's POV

At school (Lunch)...

The woman serving food slid my tray across the counter to me. I grabbed it and turned around scanning the lunchroom. Lunch was the part of the day I was dreading most. I was the new kid and I knew no one liked sitting with the new kid. I looked over at the vending machine and saw the boys that beat me up trying to shake something out without paying. I turned in the other direction not wanting to get punched. I stood watching all the kids walking up to their friends and setting down their lunch trays. I wasn't sure where to sit so I scanned the crowd for the kind girl who helped me earlier. With no luck spotting her I kept looking for a place to sit. I walked up to a table with only two kids. They didn't look very happy but maybe they'd let me sit with them. One of them had black hair and he was wearing a plaid shirt, and the other was looking down. He had on a sweater and his hair was light brown. They both looked up at me with raised eyebrows as I approached them.

"Is it cool if I sit here?" I asked cautiously.

"Ooh. Sorry, table's really blowing up right now," The black-haired boy said. I glanced around at all the empty chairs. "I can put you on the waitlist, but it's probably next semester at the earliest," He said.

"Oh, ok," I said turning around feeling upset that I couldn't find a table to sit at.

"No, I'm kidding. Sit," Black hair said pointing to a chair. I put my tray down and sat looking at the both of them.

"Miguel," I said as I scooted in towards the table.

"Demetri," Black hair said, "and this is Eli," He pointed at the boy in the sweater. I nodded and said hi. Eli didn't answer but instead looked down.

"He's a man of few words," Demetri added. We started eating our food when two girls walked by. One was blond and wearing yellow, and the other had brown hair and she was wearing blue. My eyes followed them as they walked to their lunch table looking like they owned the world.

"Dude, don't torture yourself," Demetri said following my gaze, "Those are the rich girls," He added as they took their seats with a couple of other kids.

"Do you ever talk to them or..." I asked turning to Demetri.

"Oh yeah! All the time. We hang out after school, make out, give each other hand jobs. Eli here is the homecoming king. Gets laid more than anyone. Isn't that right Eli?" Demetri said sarcastically. Eli cracked a smile, showing emotion for the first time since I sat down.

"Talk to them? You realize what table you're sitting at, right?" Demetri continued, "You've pretty much signed away all hopes of losing your virginity before college."

"Oh shit, Yasmine's looking at us," Eli said speaking for the first time. "Probably just making fun of me," Eli said covering his lip. Eli had a thin scar on his upper lip. It was obviously something he was self-conscious about even though it wasn't that bad.

"I don't think she's making fun of you," I said "I mean, just because they're hot doesn't mean they're mean," I added. We all looked at the girl's table. They were talking while looking at us and giggling. Then they turned their attention to another table and Demetri broke the silence.

"I don't care if Yasmine is the meanest girl in school. I'd kill both of you just to get her to spit in my face."

"If you don't make a move, you'll never have a shot with her," I said.

"True, but I'll also never suffer a humiliating rejection. I'm at peace with my depression. Last thing I need to be is suicidal," He said. I looked back at the table and watched them for a second. They were laughing at something Yasmine just said. I pushed my lunch tray slowly away from myself and stood up.

"What are you doing?" Demetri asked looking at me.

"Striking first," I replied confidently.

"Oh, shit," Demetri said, looking at Eli, "Hope we don't hit with the shrapnel." I ignored him and continued to slowly walk towards the girl's table. The one in the blue jacket with brown hair smiled at me and I smiled back. I was about to continue walking when some boys sat down at their table. I recognized them as the boys who beat me up. The leader sat down next the brown-haired one putting his arm around her. He smirked at me.

"Hey Sam, looking beautiful," He said to the girl. She smiled and then he turned to look at me. He smiled teasingly and waved, laughing before turning back to Sam. I sighed and turned around heading back to Demetri and Eli.

"See you later 'Rhea," One of the boys called out laughing. I sat down and sipped my chocolate milk aggressively.

"So, how'd it go?" Demetri said sarcastically. I nodded and rolled my eye, acknowledging he was right. School was off to a great start.

After school...

(This is picking up from when Hazel brings Miguel the pie)

When I closed the door holding the pie I couldn't believe it! The one person who had been nice enough to help me today and the one person who I told my mom I might want to become friends with when she asked about my day was my neighbour!

"Miggy? Who was at the door?" My mom asked coming into the kitchen where I was standing. She saw the pie and her eyebrow raised slightly.

"Huh?" I asked as she pulled me out of my thoughts. "Oh! Um... it was one of the neighbours. She just wanted to welcome us to the building," I answered.

"Mmm-hmmm," My mom said smiling. She came up to me and looked at the pie. "Ooh! Apple! Yaya will like that," My mom said as she grabbed some small plates out of the cabinet. She opened a drawer and pulled out forks and a big knife. "Go get Yaya from her room ok? We can try this before I have to go do the laundry." I nodded. Walking towards Yaya's room I stopped in the hall leaning my head against the wall. Hazel was the sweetest person I had ever met! She helped me when I was lost and she brought us a pie! After I got Yaya we walked into the kitchen and ate the pie.

"What do you think Miggy? Is it good?" My mom asked. I took another bite of pie and smiled while nodding and my mom smiled back."Maybe things aren't so bad here." I thought.

__________________________________________________

Author's Note

Omg! 60 reads? I cannot believe it! Thank you guys so much! I really love writing and I can't believe so many readers wanted to read my book! I hope you enjoyed this last chapter! If you enjoyed this chapter consider going it a vote! Thanks again for reading!