Chapter 5: Opening a Dojo

Miguel's POV

The day after the fight with Kyler...

The next morning I was sitting on the little ledge of cement outside my apartment door on my phone. I heard a car pull up and I stood quickly, sliding my phone into my pocket as I walked. It was the red car of my blond neighbour and I walked up to the car just as the man opened the door and stepped out. He was wearing the same clothes as the night before and he looked like he hadn't slept much.

"Hey, I just wanted to say thank you," I said as he closed his car door.

"Well alright, you said it," The man said grumpily looking me in the eyes before stepping around me sighing.

"So, last night was that, like, Tae Kwon Do or jujitsu or MMA or something?" I asked following him.

"It's karate," He said not turning around, "Old-School Karate."

"Do you think you could teach me?" I asked hopefully.

"What? No," He said glancing back at me before turning around to get his mail.

"Come on. When school starts, those guys are gonna make my life miserable," I said standing behind him.

"It's not my problem," He said simply.

"Look, if I just knew a little bit of what you knew, then I would be--" I started trying to convince him.

"Forget it," He said cutting me off, "I don't do karate anymore, all right? Besides, I need to find a job," His voice raised and I could tell he was getting upset.

"Well, you could open your own karate school," I said thinking.

"It's called a dojo," He corrected.

"You could open your own dojo."

"Look, I'm not getting into this with you. Alright, I'm not even sure I'm allowed to be around kids right now," His voice raised a little more, "All right, you want my advice? Stop being so annoying. Maybe you'll stop getting your ass kicked," He said. He quickly walked away leaving me standing there slightly upset.

"Ok," I mumbled.

*Time skip*                                                                                                                                                                        The next day I was putting bottles in the recycling bin I turned around to go back to my apartment but my blond neighbour was standing only a few inches away from me.

"Are you sure you're ready?" He asked not giving me a chance to say anything, "'Cause once you go down this path there's no turning back."

"You're gonna be my karate teacher?" I asked surprised, remembering our conversation earlier.

"No. I'm gonna be your sensei," He said. I smirked and nodded.

"I'm gonna teach you the style of karate that was taught to me, a method of fighting your pussy generation desperately needs. I'm not just gonna teach you how to conquer your fears. I'm gonna teach you how to awaken the snake within you. And once you do that, you'll be the one who's feared. You'll build strength. You'll learn discipline. And when the time is right, you'll strike back."

A couple of days later...

I was standing in the new dojo with my hands behind my back. My neighbour (who is named Johnny) was standing across from me dressed in an all-black suit thing.

"So, am I gonna get the karate pyjamas too?" I said breaking the silence.

"Quiet!" Johnny barked. I stood up straighter and gulped, "The student only speaks when spoken to. Is that understood?" He continued.