Chapter 2: New kid

Hazel's POV

When I got to school I chained my bike against a bike lock before running through the crowd of kids to try to find my friend. I spotted her slouched in a corner on her phone.

"Aisha!" I called as I made my way over. She looked up searching the clumps of students with a slight frown on her face. When she saw me her eyes lit up and her expression changed into a large grin.

"Hey, Hazel!" She said clicking her phone off and tucking it into her backpack. "I thought you were Yasmine or Kyler," She explained.

"Oh. Are they giving you a hard time again?" I asked with a worried look on my face.

"No more then usual," Aisha sighed "But," She said perking up, "Now that you're here I'll be fine!"

I gave her a sympathetic look and hooked my arm with hers before walking to the big double doors and pushing them open. We walked down the big hallway and then stopped turning to her.

"I'll see you after class ok? And we'll sit together at lunch?" I asked. She nodded, gave me a quick hug, and then walked off towards her locker. I watched her go before turning the opposite way to go to mine. Not even two steps later my face came in contact with a flannel shirt and I was suddenly on the ground my head lightly smacking the floor. 

"Ouch," I mumbled sitting up a bit to rub my head.

"Omg are you ok?!?" A concerned voice asked. I turned my head wincing as a headache flared. A  boy with caramel-coloured skin, short black hair, braces, big brown eyes, and a flannel shirt was looking down at me.

"I'm so sorry! I should've been looking up and paying attention!" He said looking generally concerned.

"Oh no, I should I been more aware of my surroundings," I said slowly trying to get up.

"Oh, here let me help you," the boy said quickly reaching out his hand. I took it and he helped pull me to my feet. 

"Thanks," I smiled.

"Sure, yeah, of course!" He said as he reached back to the ground and picked up a small piece of paper. "I shouldn't have been looking at this and walking at the same time," He said guiltily. I looked at the slip in his hand and noticed it was a schedule. 

"New?" I asked.

"Um... yeah." 

"Lost?" I questioned. He gave me a small nod. I held out my hand signalling I wanted to see his schedule. He held it out hesitantly and I took it, scanning it quickly.

"Ok so... it looks like you have math first in room 106 so that would be... that way," I say spinning around and pointing to a hallway opposite from us. The boy squinted and nodded, taking back his schedule.

"Thanks," He said "It's hard to find someone to help you when you're new."

"Tell me about it," I snorted remembering when I was new at the school.

"I'm Miguel by the way, Miguel Diaz," He said smiling.

"Hazel, Hazel Lopez," I said holding out my hand. He shook it, but instead of letting go like I normally would we just stood there staring into each other's eyes. He was really cute, I couldn't bring myself to look away.

"So, umm... we have some of the same classes later today... I could show you the way later... if you want," I said awkwardly while I pulled my hand away and looked down at my shoes. 

"Really? I mean yeah! Totally, that would be great!" He said excitedly. I smiled and opened my mouth to say something else when the bell rang signalling we had to get to class. 

"Oh, umm... I guess we should go. I don't want to be late on my first day," he looked sad about it like he didn't want to leave.

"Yeah, I guess so, I'll see you around?" I asked. He nodded and thanked me again before running off towards the direction I pointed him in earlier. I stood there frozen in my spot for a few seconds before shaking my head to clear my thoughts and running off in the opposite direction to get to class.

______________________________________________________

Author's Note

I really appreciate you reading my story! Thanks! This chapter is much shorter then the other one and I feel like it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. I got really obsessed with writing and that's why the second chapter came out so fast! Anyways, I hope you are enjoying reading!