Chapter 8: Empanadas

Small warning: Abuse is mentioned once in this chapter.

Hazel's POV

Over the next few weeks, Miguel and I spent a lot of time together and we got really close. I learned about his family, his friends, his enemies, and Cobra Kai. He stared a dojo with our grumpy neighbour. To be honest, I never liked Johnny. He was always mean and rude but Miguel seemed to think he was changing so I didn't say anything. Miguel asked me to join the dojo too but I politely declined. When we were younger, Sam and I used to do karate with her dad. In my opinion, I wasn't very good and I never liked violence anyways. My dad used to abuse my mom and me before my parents got divorced and my mom and I moved to Reseda with my Abuela. Karate makes my mom a little nervous. She was ok with me training with Mr. Larusso because he always made it clear that karate was for self-defence only but I knew she was never totally comfortable with it. Miguel and I talked about how he thought he liked Sam. I don't know why but this made me feel jealous, I never thought I liked Miguel but when he talked about Sam I wished it was me he was talking about. He also talked about Kyler and how Kyler beat him up for blowing their cover when they were buying beer. Miguel and I started to walk to and from school together and hang out almost every day. While I was getting closer with Miguel I also started talking to Sam again. It started with just us texting about a school project but before I knew it we were starting to text every day. Today after school I was grabbing books from my locker preparing to head home.

"Hazel!" I turned around and saw Miguel running towards me waving and smiling.

"Hey, Miguel!" I said pausing what I was doing so that he could catch up, "What's up?"

"Hi. Our moms were gonna work late tonight so I was wondering if you wanted to hang out?" He said quickly and out of breath.

"Woah, slow down buddy," I laughed, "I'm gonna have to ask you to say that 100 times slower."

"Sorry. Do you want to hang out today?" He asked catching his breath.

"That's better. I would love to!" I said, smiling.

"Ok, great!"

"So what were you thinking about doing?" I said.

"I'm not sure. We could go to my house? Well more like our building my apartment."

"Ok, sounds good, let me ask my mom," I smiled and turned around to call my mom.

"Hey sweetie, what's up? Are you walking home?" She said picking up the phone.

"Well, I was going to but um... Miguel and I wanted to hang out. Is it ok if I go to his house?"

"Oh, course sweetie. Abuela is out today anyways. But Mija? I know Miguel wants you to come over, just make sure that his grandmother is ok with it, You don't know their rules about having people over ok?"

"Yeah... I'm sure his grandma isn't like Abuela..."

"I know but still. I'm ok with you going but just be sure. Listen, honey, I have to get back to work ok? Make smart choices, and have fun. Carmen! Hi! Miguel and Hazel are..." The line cut off as my mom started talking to Miguel's mom. I smiled at the thought that they were getting closer. I turned back around.

"My mom said it's fine as long as your grandmother is ok with it."

"She'll be fine," He answered as we pushed open the big double doors to start the walk home.

When we got to the apartment building, Miguel took out his keys inserting them into the lock. Before he opened the door he turned to me.

"Just to warn you, Yaya forgets about personal boundaries sometimes. She says a lot of stuff without really thinking, not anything bad just embarrassing stuff," He said turning a bit red. I smiled.

"It's fine. She's probably better than my Abuela who always plays 20 questions when I have someone over. She has to do a whole background check to make sure they don't deal drugs and have sex," I said sighing. He laughed and turned the key, pushing open the door.

"Yaya!" He called, "I'm home and I brought a friend over!"

"Miggy?" His grandmother said coming out of a room in the back. She smiled and kissed the top of his head before turning to me. She stood there looking at me for so long without talking that I started to squirm. Eventually, she welcomed me into their home and said she'd prepare a snack. Miguel and I sat on their couch talking while we waited for food.

"Ok, tengo un bocadillo listo," (Ok, I've got a snack ready.) Miguel's grandma said as she set down a plate of steaming empanadas. Miguel and I walked over to the table and sat down next to his Yaya so the three of us could eat.

Third Person POV

Yaya adored Hazel and Hazle adored Yaya. They got along so well that by the end of their snack Yaya was asking Miguel why they weren't dating.

"Ella es hermosa Miggy. ¿Por qué no estás saliendo con ella?" (She's beautiful Miggy. Why aren't you dating her?) Yaya asked.

"Yaya!" Miguel yelped knowing Hazel could understand Spanish.

"No estamos saliendo porque aún no me ha invitado a salir," (We aren't dating because he hasn't asked me out yet.) Hazel said winking at Miguel and putting emphasis on the word yet. Miguel turned redder then a tomato and Yaya chuckled smugly.

"Bueno Miguel, ¿Por qué no lo has preguntado?" (Well Miguel, why haven't you asked?) Yaya asked raising an eyebrow at her grandson.

"Uh... I.. um... well... " Migeul stammered turning redder still.

"Sí Miguel, ¿por qué no lo has preguntado?" (Yeah Miguel, why haven't you asked?) Hazel said teasingly. She rested her chin on her hand and looked at him with a smile on her face. Miguel looked at Hazel and then back at his grandmother as the redness spread from his cheeks to ears.

"Miggy, ¿estás holgazaneando en ligar chicas?" (Miggy, are you slacking on picking up girls?) Yaya asked smiling at Miguel's embarrassment.

"Yeah Miggy," Hazel said, "Are you slacking?"

"Hazel! Don't encourage her!" Miguel said as his blushing spread to his neck. Hazel chuckled as her phone binged. She took it out of her pocket and read the screen.

"As entertaining as this conversation is I have to get home," Hazel said standing up.

"Te acompañaré," (I'll walk you.) Yaya said standing up as well. Hazel kissed Miguel on the cheek making sure to take longer than usual before they walked out the door and across the hall to Hazel's apartment leaving a very confused and embarrassed Miguel sitting alone at his dining room table.

________________________________________________

Author's note

Hi! I had so much fun writing this chapter because of the part with Hazel and Yaya. It was so fun to write and I can actually imagine Miguel being really embarrassed because of something Yaya says! I have some awesome plans for the book that will be coming soon. I'm having trouble actually writing my plans so it might take a while to incorporate them into the story. I'm going to go back and edit some of the old chapters to make sure they are my best work!

On another note, these next couple of days I might not be able to update because my aunt just passed away and my family is mourning. I will try to update as soon as I can though!

Thanks for reading my story! I have 2 votes and over 120 reads! I can't tell you guys how happy it makes me that so many people are enjoying my story! I'm so glad that people are interested! Please consider voting if you have enjoyed any of the chapters! Thanks for reading! I love you guys! 💕