Chapter 4: Pepto Bismol

Miguel's POV

A couple of days ago...

I walked out of my apartment building and walking over to the line of apartment mailboxes to get the mail. I heard the rustling of keys and footsteps and I saw one of my new neighbours leaving their apartment, I closed our small mailbox quickly and sped up my pace to go talk to him.

"Hey, I'm Miguel. My family and I just moved into 109," I said speed walking to keep up with the man's fast pace.

"Great more immigrants," The man said sarcastically not turning to look at me.

"Actually, we're from Riverside," I said confused, "But anyway, I was wondering if you were having trouble with your water pressure, 'cause I know our sink's been weird right now and... oh! Bottles go in the blue bins!" I said reaching out to stop the man from dumping all his garbage in the big black dumpster. I heard the clang of the bottles reaching to bottom so I pulled my hand back sighing.

"Listen Menudo," The blond man said as he shut the dumpster, "I've lived in this shithole for over ten years," He said turning to me, "Pipes don't work. The fountain's full of piss. The only good thing about living here is that I don't have to talk to anybody. So, nice knowing you," The man picked up a red metal box full of tools and walked off.

"Ok, well... have a nice day... I guess," I said as the man got into his bright red Firebird and slammed the door before pulling out of the driveway. I sighed and walked back to my apartment.

Later that night...

"Miggy? Will you go to the market and get Yaya some Pepto Bismol? She's not feeling great," My mom asked as she came into the living room. I looked up from my phone, sighed, and nodded my head. "Thank you, sweetie," My mom said as she places a coupled of dollars in my hand and kissed the top of my head.

"Sure." I walked out of the apartment with the money in my hand and walked to the drug store in the mini-mall. I walked in the door of the small store and called to the man at the counter, "Donde esta el Pepto Bismol?" (Where's the Pepto Bismol?) I asked. The man pointed to a shelf near the back of the store.

"Por ahí," (Over there) He said. I walked over to the self and scanned it until I saw what I was looking for. I grabbed a bottle and made my way to the counter. There was a man at the counter and I recognized him as my grumpy neighbor from earlier.

"Can you put that on a plate?" The blond man asked rudely, pointing to the pizza the man behind the counter was holding. The cashier rolled his eyes and started digging around looking for one.

"My grandma's not feeling well," I explained holding up the bottle of Pepto Bismol to the blond man.

"Didn't ask," He turned back to the cashier, "C'mon, what's Spanish for 'Just give me my damn slice?'" The cashier sighed and pulled his head up from looking behind the counter.

"Fucking idiot. He probably has a little dick," He mumbled in Spanish to me,  I smiled and bit back a laugh.

"What did you just say?" The blond asked narrowing his eyes, "What did he say?" He asked turning to me.

"You don't want to know," I replied, still smiling a little.

"No, I know it's something bad. Just tell me."

"Uh, he said you have a tiny..." I trailed off pointing to the front of his pants. The man looked down to where I was pointing and then back up at the cashier.