16- Zander

I sat with my father in his office.  We had the map of our pack lands rolled out in front of us. I didn't want to be here,  but since Xavier and I are supposed to take over in the next couple months I had to assist my dad.  Xavier would've been here too if it wasn't for his date with Oliver.  I couldn't help but wonder how it was going.  Where did he take him?  Would Oliver be more interested in Xavier compared to me? Xavier was always better at controlling his emotions than I was.

"Zander, " My father called,  snapping me out of my thoughts.  I looked at him and he raised an eyebrow at me.  He gave me a knowing smile before tapping on the map. "I know you're thinking about your mate,  but I need you to stay focused on this for the moment." I nodded, sitting closer to the desk. 

Since the rogue that attacked Oliver got through,  we've been trying to plan for a new patrol route that would be more effective,  but we were struggling to find the most effective way.  My father and I debated for a bit before planning to overlap some of the patrol routes. If we did it this way then if one guard is down,  the other guard would notice before the rogue got too far away. 

My dad held a hand on my shoulder causing me to look up at him.  "You and Xavier will be great leaders, " he told me.  I smiled at him.  I got out of the chair and stretched.  "I gotta ask you, when is Oliver and his son moving in the house?" I rubbed my neck at my dad's question.  My parents were planning to move into their own place when Xavier and I took over the pack so that we could have the house.  Now that we found Oliver and Mason,  it made sense for them to move in with us. "I know it's probably too soon to be asking about that, but I was just thinking that with the attack and him being your mate anyways that you could bring it up with him sooner than you guys are planning to."

"I don't know,  Dad, " I started,  looking back at him.  My hands moved as I talked.  "We haven't built up our relationship like that yet,  and I haven't even started meeting Mason." My dad just stared at me and I sighed.  "I just think asking him now would be moving too fast. I don't want to freak him out. " My dad made some agreement noises,  sounding disappointed.  I was about about to leave when I remembered I wanted to ask him something.  "Hey Dad." My father looked up at me curiously.  I walked back over to him after making sure the door was closed.  "Is it possible for a wolf to take over and control the body of their human when they're 3?" My dad looked taken back by my question. 

He sat down in his desk before pulling out some papers.  I was rather confused as to what he was doing.  He pulled out this old book and sat it on the desk. I watched as he flipped through some pages but I didn't recognize the book at all.  My dad stopped on a page and started reading some stuff before looking back at me.  "Okay,  so it says here that in rare occurrences a wolf may take over a child depending on if they're in a dangerous situation," My dad stated. I nodded,  thinking about how the rogue attack can fit into that category.  "However," My dad said interrupting my thoughts. "If the wolf decides to present themselves it may be a case of an elder wolf." I thought back to Mason's reaction to me taking Oliver.  Most new wolves didn't attack the alpha cause they knew we outrank them,  but Mason's wolf didn't seem to care.  He tried to fight me,  despite not being able to hurt me.  My dad looked up at me.  "Did you see a pup like that? We can get an elder down here to make sure."

I shook my head.  "I'm not sure. I’ll let you know though, " I told him.  I couldn't be sure if Mason's wolf was an elder wolf. He is too young to know himself and I couldn't be entirely sure without talking to Mason more.  Being an elder was a big deal.  It meant that his wolf knew and understood more than others knew. Elder Zach is the youngest Elder there was,  and he was in his fifties,  so if Mason was an elder,  it would be a big deal to everyone.

My father nodded before looking back down at the book.  He closed it before handing it over to me. "Don't lose that book.  If you think a pup might be an elder, then read up on it.  It'll help you made that call," My father said.  I nodded taking in the information.  He smiled at me. "I'm gonna call the construction group that's building our house.  Why don't you go update the war wolves of the patrol update and maybe get some food.  Xavier should be back here soon. " I nodded, heading out of his office with the book in hand.