Three / Mia

"Here she is, calling again!" I mumble dropping the phone on the table and rolling my eyes in disparate vibes with her calls

"Who?" Ben asked, shoving pizza in his mouth as if he hadn't eaten for days and paid zero concern or attention.

Or that's what I thought.

We are on break at the canteen of the Uni, still having two more classes before the school ends for the spring vacation. My last spring vacation.

I'm planning a week of surfing in LA, and I literally can't wait for it, but Dad is adamant about making me visit them and spend the vacation at home. He knows I can't resist Eve who's been calling me since yesterday.

I chose not to reply to Ben. He is a good friend but sometimes he pisses me off with his lack of empathy which he always says is not lack of empathy but trust that my mob family can always fix for me whatever I want.

You see, Papa is Don Enzo Benito, or rather ex-Don Enzo Benito.

We moved to NY many years ago, but Papa kept controlling very incognito the businesses in Napoli. Uncle Alex is there and... I miss him.

He has always understood me. I could ask him for anything and if he couldn't give, he had the best way to tell me it was not possible.

And if that involved a lollipop... trust me, he is the best.

"You're not eating?" Ben asks staring at me with his mouth still full, unlike the plate under his nose.

I look at him and instead of answering, I'm wondering what kind of a woman will ever have the courage to exist in Ben's life.

A damn heroine, that's who!

He's two years older than Julian but I swear, my little brother is ten times smarter than Ben, and better dressed and more interested in his appearance.

He's seventeen but if we go out together, you can bet no man will approach me. Firstly, because anybody would naturally think he is my boyfriend, secondly...

Have you met my younger brother? No? Ha, you don't know what you are missing!

So, let me tell you. Julian is an exact copy of my father with extremely specific and strong features from my grandfather.

In case you don't remember, my grandfather is Lucas Tate. The Lucas Tate, the unbeatable, never intimidated, fearless, and always adamant to kill or to get, father-in-law of an Italian Don and the husband of the most wonderful woman I've ever known in my life, Grandma Becca.

She is royal in all her aspects, outfits, speech, and smile, even her crying has something queeny in it. She has an aura that few women have, making Grandpa Lucas still a man madly in love since I know them.

Well, she deserves it.

But unlike my grandpa and Papa, Julian never put on the table any discussion of inheriting Papa's ways of life and his businesses, the legit businesses in NY and the less legit ones from Italy, that is.