One / The Legacy

Seventeen years ago

Seventeen years ago

          It was surely going to be dangerous just by having Vincenzo Benito involved, and that alone was enough to predict a disaster, less to talk about a war outbreak between some of the strongest families in Napoli.

We knew each other since we were kids and believe me or not, no other Don had ever been more famous for a cold heart, sharp eyes, and precise aim than Enzo was.

His father found me one day on the streets of Napoli, lying on the ground on some wet cartoons, beaten, more dead than alive. I was ten years old, a starving orphan lucky enough to be stumbled upon by a rich man who was going to change his life forever.

I was beaten pretty much living in the streets and really bad that day. Some boys I met in the south of Napoli thought I was hiding money from them and after they smashed my face nicely and searched all of my pockets, finding nothing, they ran away, leaving me almost lifeless on the ground.

When Marciano Benito found me, Don Marce, as he ordered me to call him, and I never crossed his word, he took me into his house, soon becoming a father figure for me, and Vincenzo became my brother, my elder brother. He was twelve at that time.

I wished I could say the same about Salvatore, Don Marce's elder son, but that was not the case. He never liked me. He never wanted me around and he was always fucking suspicious about everything related to me.

So, when I heard that Enzo was going to be Don here, in Italy, instead of his elder brother, it felt like I was born again. I knew I was going to be fine. I was going to be safe, and I was happy. Salvatore would have had me killed with no remorse although I was never a threat to his title.

But my life completely changed when one of the Valentinis' ex-solders visited me last week, saying he had some particularly important news. And important they were! Mind-blowing, life-changing news.

You see, son, Paolo Valentini was the bloodthirsty enemy of Vincezo Benito, and I killed him just one week before the news his ex-soldier brought to me, while we all thought that the entire Valentini family and descendants and faithful people had perished in the raids we did.

I had no idea who this close friend of Paolo was and honestly, I was suspecting he even was one, so I decided that my territory was the best place to have that talk since he was the one that requested the meeting. I never wanted anything from that motherfucker or any of his acquaintances.

An enemy of Enzo is an enemy of mine so whatever his guy wanted from me he could shove it in his ass, and I was going to make sure he knew that.

Paolo was dead. Gone. Forever.

And Enzo was my brother, not by blood but by choice and nobody could break that.

So, I thought.

Paolo always wanted Enzo's head long before Vivi came into the picture. Enzo was his lifelong Nemesis. Everything Paolo did was to ultimately eliminate Enzo, by whatever means he had at hand, but he was so stupid that he never knew how to build that plan, THE plan to have Enzo killed.