Five / Making peace

It's been five hours since I've been sitting on this bench, writing and enjoying the peace gifted by this undiscovered strip of beach

My phone rang like ten times, but I gracefully ignored it because I knew I had to leave everything aside and finish the new chapter.

I also knew that it was Julian whom I left dumbfounded at the Uni but right now I have to finish this and publish it, at least for that one single reader who always shows up minutes after the chapter is uploaded.

I give it one more check and hit the publish button. And like every evening, two minutes after it's live that reader appears, the same reader as always, as if she or he is waiting for it.

Rather she, I doubt a male reader is waiting to dive into my juicy love stories.

I smile, pleased to see my writings don't go unnoticed and I stand up on my feet, ready to close the day and make my way home.

As I'm approaching the building of my flat I see light in my apartment and I sigh, shaking my head, manning up to face my brother.

"So, you're not dead," Julian says when I enter, making me puff with annoyance.

"No, I'm not dead, and unfortunately I'm not surprised to see you here," I reply while tossing my shoes and bag somewhere on the floor of the living room on my way to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water.

I was so lost in my writing tonight that I forgot my need for fluids and food.

"Oh, hey Mia," Ben says with a full mouth, sitting on the island counter and feeding himself some cake.

"Are you too married or something?" I ask after emptying the bottle and I fetch a lollipop from the glass bowl.

"You're mean," Ben scolds me. "We've been worried sick. Where have you been? Don't you have a phone or what? It's one thing to be distant and a different one to be rude."

"I do have a phone, and it's none of your business where I have been," I reply crashing on the sofa next to Julian who grabs the opportunity to mess with my hair, ruffling it again.

"I brought your mail up," he says, and I shift my eyes toward him, wondering why that is so important to mention.

"So? You want a reward or something?" I ask.

"Well, depends on what's written in the letter stamped with the college logo," he clarifies.

"The college...?" I mumble surprised, standing on my feet to go and fetch the envelope, rushing to open it with shaky hands.

The contest I've enrolled in is the most important event of the year. I've been waiting for three full years to be eligible for it. It's the perfect launching place for any designer who dreams of a career because the sponsors are some of the biggest construction and architecture companies across the States and being a winner is ensuring you some of the best projects in the industry.