Thirty - seven / Mission completed

It's been forty minutes since Benito is inside

          It's been forty minutes since Benito is inside. And I worry.

I worry because there's no sign of explosions, not even a trace of a boat or any other movement around us. Emerging from the pitch black night, we all wait on our toes and nerves ringing in our ears but nothing so far, and I start to doubt that Benito really has any friends.

"Should we try to get in?" Julian asks in a whisper as if doing that would betray the orders of his father.

I shake my head as a no.

"Nobody is coming," he reasons.

"You should know better, kid. He is your father. Does he have any friends?" I ironically ask turning my head and giving him a smirk.

"My father is a decent man," he speaks roughly and gives me the stare of hate.

"Well, then you should trust his plan."

"I'm afraid something happened," he replies.

"They are still talking, kid," I tell him, showing him the screen of the heat detector directed to the room we know to be the home office and where three orange silhouettes are sitting.

Julian stares at the screen in silence and decides to insist no more.

"We wait," I reply, not really convinced of it myself but it doesn't seem to be any threat for now. They're talking, moving hands, walking around, and from afar they look like friends having a chitchat.

"The boat is here," Charles announces running back at us and pulling the radio station from his belt. "Everybody on position! Remember: surveillance cameras first, immediately after the first explosion. Ropes! We get in! We take down any moving target! We protect Don Raffa, Don Enzo, young Julia, and Miss Mia. That's all should get out of this hell," he orders and I see shadows moving through the trees readying their guns and themselves to move.

"Don Raffa, I'm coming with you..."

"No, Charles, I get inside together with Julian. You take a part of the to the annex and neutralize the targets there. They will all run towards the explosions and fire. You'll catch them off-guard. Have another team at the north side toward the sea and let them hit everybody they find there. Shoot to kill..." I try to complete my indications despite Charles' protests that I can read in his eyes but the explosions hit and chaos erupts.

I take a strong hold on my machine gun, sticking it to my cheek, the way I know I can control it the best, take a fucking deep breath and God help the one that stands in my way before I have Mia.

Feeling a gun in my hand again reminds me that I still am the man I used to be, and I like the feeling. I fucking missed it! That and the thirst I have to save my woman wake my every sense, and I really need that right now.

The year that passed without having a hope to see Mia again, less to talk about being around her, the love that has been growing in my heart from the very first day I saw her in that university office, hiding in a dark corner as a beast waiting for its prey and the moment to jump and fetch without knowing that the prey will eventually eat me, the whole of me, my mind, my blood, my flesh, my every breath, and every sweat until she finally became to be today the only reason of my existence.