Nine / The winner

Papa offered me his office to use while working on my project

Papa offered me his office to use while working on my project. He said that the smartest of the family would begin her career in the place where all his businesses were managed.

He's really proud, I can tell that. And the prouder he is, the stronger my anxiety grows. I don't want to disappoint him. Besides, winning this prize will take me to Europe, so close to the place where I've always wanted to go.

So, I'm double motivated to win this. No, triple motivated. I'll get to visit Europe, I'll make Papa proud, and earn my own business.

That means independence, standing on my own feet, and earning my own living.

I don't know what it is this independence thing with us, women of this family. Grandma Becca was the first, coming from the hand of a deeply controlling father and risking the love of her life just to prove to herself and everybody else that she was a strong woman, totally capable of being on her own.

Then Mamma Eve, a legendary pain in the ass, as Papa sometimes complains, and while doing that, an entire universe of love springs from his eyes, feasting himself on her beauty which he has never had enough of.

We concluded that it was the fault of the men in our family, each one falling madly in love with their woman, incapable of resisting anything she wanted to do and some might say that is because they are weak but Papa had another view of the matter.

He says that actually weak men control their women, imposing and keeping them in the shadow, fearing that they might be better.

Now it's my turn to continue the legacy of the women in our family and truth be told I would have done it long ago if Papa was adamant to control everything and everyone, except for Julian. Not that he hasn't tried but you see, Julian is a pitched copy of Mamma Eve. Julian does what Julian wants. And that while still having Papa's love and admiration.

Having Papa's office was a huge incentive for me. In the span of five days, my project was almost done except for the interiors. No room was supposed to be similar to another so the amount of work waiting for me before depositing my file for the prize was overwhelming but something I was eager to cross.

I still have one more week to the deadline and another one till the winner is revealed.

"Ready sweetheart?" mom is asking while peeking her head through the cracked door.

"Si, Mamma," I reply sliding my feet into the gold leather flats and grabbing the trolley.

"Leave that, Mia. Julian will bring it down," she advises while my brother shows in.

"Of course, mistress," he confirms mocking Mamma Eve always controlling and ordering in this family.

She smiles brightly in the approval of being the mistress but that was just a show in the preparation of a good traditional scolding.