Thirty / It's done

I can always tell a gunshot to kill from a training one, or a raid of revenge from a single shot to kill

I can always tell a gunshot to kill from a training one, or a raid of revenge from a single shot to kill. And what we heard downstairs were definitely gunshots of revenge.

Pretty sure is not my business to interfere, I don't give a fuck about Benito's bad blood with anybody else but I, but Mia is shivering with fear in my arms, and the sight of her, cuddled to my chest, covering her ears and squeezing her eyes right makes hate the world, the earth, and the skies altogether.

And trust me, I know these are not the only gunshots to happen tonight. By the rhythm of it, there is a hunt going on downstairs.

"What was that?" Mia is whispering keeping her ears covered and eyes closed tight.

I'm all wrapped around her like a bulletproof blanket and this is my excuse to hold her strongly a little bit longer.

"Is it over?" she asks, opening one of her eyes and stopping herself from breathing to hear better, making me nervous in the process of trying to end this blissful moment I have.

She lifts the sharp tip of her nose to look at me, with a smile on her lips and light in her eyes that make me stop breathing myself and become more determined not to loosen my grip.

"Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the moment but... don't you think I should go downstairs and see what's going on?" she says bluntly as if going downstairs is a walk in the park.

I want to reply but gunshots are heard again with an indefinite period between them and so I know the hunt is not over.

I tighten the hold around her, grabbing her head with one hand and pushing it stronger into my chest.

"Non aver paura, Mia. Sono con te tesoro. Non ti succederà niente. Mi senti?" (Don't be scared, Mia. I'm with you sweetheart. Nothing is going to happen to you. Do you hear me?)

Contrary to my words, she starts shaking again in my arms and here I understand that for the sake of the woman I love, I need to intervene. Revenge is never revenge till you eliminate all family members, and I swear to  God and fucking Heavens, if something happens to my Mia, I'll burn half of the earth.

"Mia, ascolta tesoro, tu rimani qui, chiudi la porta dietro e non esci mai finché non vengo per te. Capisci?" I tell her grabbing her head into my palms and starting straight into her horrified eyes. (Mia, listen, sweetheart, you stay here, you lock the door behind and you never get out till I come for you. Do you understand?)

She listens carefully to each of my words and nods like a good kid listening to her elder.

"Raffa, per favore trova mamma. La sua stanza è la seconda a sinistra. Ha detto che sarebbe andata a letto prima, ma..." she says and I wipe the tears coming out of her beautiful eyes then kiss her cheeks, her paper white cheeks. (Raffa, please find Mom. Her room is the second on the left. She said she would go to sleep earlier but...)