Forty - six / Mother

"Mia, can you see who that is?" Aunt Feli shouts from the kitchen where together with Maria she's cooking an old Italian pasta

She has been promising this dish to me for weeks and now... well, let's say I am taking a little advantage of being pregnant.

"Si, Aunty," I shout right back at her and enter the house just in time to welcome Grandpa who shows up in the living room accompanied by a very refined and beautiful lady.

She looks close to Papa's age, tall and thin, with a straight and proud posture, crowned by a warm, intoxicating smile.

The moment I came in her eyes glued to me in a stare filled with an admiration that I didn't know how to welcome.

"Lucia!" Aunt Feli shouts in a pitched tone, telling me that the surprise has hit her heart with joy.

Aunty rushes toward Lucia still wiping her hands on the apron she is wearing and grabs the surprise visitor in a strong hug.

"I haven't seen you in years! What are you doing here?" Aunt Feli says looking into Lucia's eyes, dominating the entire room as if this has been especially dedicated to her.

Lucia laughs loudly and caresses Aunty's hair while staring into her eyes, evidently thrilled with the welcome she gets.

"Important matters brought me here," Lucia replies and shifts her eyes on me who I'm dumbly smiling to everyone, having no idea what's going on.

Am I the important matter? Who is this lady and why do those black big eyes of hers seem so familiar?

As Grandpa Lucas can read my mind, she comes closer to me and gently pulls me closer to Lucia.

"Mia, this is Lucia Capozzi, Raffa's mother," he introduces her.

The earth slides from under my feet, involuntarily making me lay one hand flat on my lower belly as if trying to protect the little life inside.

"Lucia, this is my..."

"Oh, I know who she is!" she cuts his words short and swiftly leaves Aunt Feli to reach me and pull me in a strong hug as if we are old souls finding each other in another life.

I welcome that stronghold with all my being and curl my arms around her back as if hugging a piece of Raffa.

"You are so much more beautiful than I have imagined," she says after indulging in loosening the hold and exchanging it with an intense stare.

"Now I see that my son has no chance of falling in love with you."

My ears are burning and my face sting with heat and I'm pretty sure I'm red as a tomato.

"You know about us..." I mumble.

"I know everything about my son. I know all of his good and all of his flaws. And I know he doesn't deserve much, but his heart, very well hidden, is kind and warm," she makes a full presentation of her son in one breath, ticketing my soul.