Chapter 10; "I packed you plenty of clean underwear,"

"Now honey, I packed you plenty of clean underwear, but make sure you clean them after you use them. There isn't enough to last forever." she said coming from the back. She had a large bag with a sleeping bag. Then she turned and went back and revealed another bag.

        "Mom, I love you." Gnasu said engulfing his mother into a hug. She hugged back slightly surprised, but her face changed to happiness quickly.

        "I love you too, my son." she said with a smile crossing her lips.

        "If we want to make the mainland by night fall then we have to go." Haku said after a few moments.

        "Be good Gansu, and stay out of trouble. Unless they cause it with you, then kick there butts." she said placing a hand on his cheek maternally.

        "Yes mama." he said with a smile and a small laugh. I laughed softly and waited patiently.

        "You boys go to the ship or the plank or whatever you go on, I have to talk to Tsukiko for a moment." they nodded and turned outside of the shop. I saw through a window that they left Kakuro for me. I turned back to Hana and waited for her to speak.

        "Thank you." she said softly.

        "For what?" I asked in confusion.

        "My son needs someone in his life to show him the right ways of the road." she said softly. "He was always a trouble maker and rude, but when he came through the door with you, he was kinder and smarter. I thank you for helping my son be better." she said softly.

        "Of course, Hana." I said bowing to her. She smiled gratefully, but an expression of shock crossed her face.        

        "Knut!" she yelled suddenly. A small fire ferret came running out of the back into the front. She ran up the leg of Hana and then on to her shoulders.

        "I'm sure Gansu told you about Knut." she said rubbing between the small creatures ears.

        "Yes, he has." I said with a smile.

        "I want you to bring her with you, it wouldn't be trouble?" she said quickly.

        "No, of course not. I have a large polar bear dog who stays with us so a small thing like her won't be trouble at all." I said with a smile. She handed Knut to me and almost instantly Knut scampered to my shoulders. I giggled quietly and rubbed under her chin.

        "Gansu must have been so caught up in the moment, he forgot her." she said with a scoff.

        "Boys." I said with a roll of my eyes but a smile forming on my lips.

        "Good luck with those two. Your brother looks like news." she said in a joking mannor.

        "Oh yes," I said chuckling.

        "I best not keep you. Go run along, but please come back and visit any time you'd like." she said with a smile. I took her in a hug and once again she hugged back after coming over the shock. I released then turned and walked out to Kakuro. I climbed on his back and tucked Knut in the side saddle so she wouldn't get blown off.

        "Lets go to the ship." I told Kakuro. He barked and took off in a full speed sprint. Soon enough we made it to Gansu and Haku who just arrived at the beach. I grabbed Knut and placed her on his shoulders. He jumped for a second, but recognized Knut and gave her a small hug.