Chapter 3

Haku and I have been planning for exactly one month. Today was the day of my eighteenth birthday, and tonight we were going to leave this place for good. My mother harassed me often since the day we proposed out offer.

Every night I found myself crying in his room before it was time to sleep. It was like I couldn't handle it. I was weak to everyone, but when I am comfortable, I am bold, sarcastic, bright, and, most importantly, different. I only found myself like that when my brother and I went to our home, our real home.

Now I was getting ready for my last day of healing class, but I was also preparing for the happy birthdays I would be getting. There would be a lot since I am Haku's sister.

I stepped into the kitchen to grab breakfast, but I found my mother there instead. She was sitting with a cup of Jasmine tea, her favorite.

"Happy Birthday, Honey!" she exclaimed as she stood and pulled me in for a hug. I froze at her cold touch but gradually hugged back. Why was she being nice? Must be a birthday perk.

"Thank you mother." I said with a small bow of my head.

"I got you a present." she smiled.

"Oh wonderful, Mother. I am very thankful." I offered a bright smile. She went to her room to retrieve it while I made myself a small bowl of mixed nuts. I sat at the table and munched on them until I heard her come back. She held a small box in her hands and I began to ponder on what it was. She handed it to me and then nodded in permission to open. I opened it slowly and quietly. Once the paper was off I came to realize it was a betrothal necklace in a box.

"It was mine, your father carved it and everything." she looked at the necklace longingly. I gave her a genuine smile. She hugged me and then took her leave to work. I examined the necklace as I entered Haku's room.

"Mother gave me her betrothal necklace from Ba Ba." I said quietly as I stood in his doorway.

"Oh," he was quiet. I nodded softly and looked up to see him smiling at me. I raised a brow in confusion. "I'm giving you my gift tonight when we go. Is the ship all packed?" he questioned. We stole a ship a few days after mother yelled at me. Then we hid it on the edge of the island, and we covered it with ice so it wouldn't be noticed.

"Yes, but do you mind running through a check list with me real quick?" I asked.

"Beds, rugs, food, harness, and blankets." he started the checklist. I nodded at each one and he went on.

"All the clothes in your closet, anything you want from your room, and dishes." he continued. Our rooms were almost bare from bringing things. Mother wouldn't notice because she has never came into our rooms. We just took the beds last night to put a homey touch on the ship. The whole ship was dected out in homey touches that made it more comfortable. I nodded and he went on for the final time.

"Money, the necklace with the vile of  spirit water, and finally your weapons." he said with a rest. We each have been trained in a weapon. Mine being archery and his being two katanas. I had about a thousand arrows from over time, okay that is exaggerating but the point is given. I put those on the ship a few nights ago. The vile that held the spirit water was around my neck and unnoticeable if I had my coat on so I knew that was a check and then finally the money we have saved up for, for so long. It was a lot seeing as we are a rich family, so I knew we were set.

"Check." I said with a confident nod.

"I will see you and Kakuro on the ship tonight when the lanterns come on." he said hugging me. I hugged him back, grateful to have such a strong brother. Finally, we broke apart and headed to our last classes forever.