Chapter 4

My brother and I ventured around the entire city. The island was mostly forest which made me squeal for joy. To say I was in love with trees when I first touched one, is an understatement.  We decided to go camping tomorrow for this very reason.

Haku and I discovered many shops, each selling their own thing. I bought a few scrolls with firebending, waterbending, earthbending, and airbending moves on them so I could study other forms of bending. The cost me a pretty penny, but it was worth it.

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale."

It would also help with my firebending. It has yet to pop up from the first time it happened, but I didn't mind. I was going to take the forms to our ship and practice them. Since I have proper forms for firebending, I may be able to bend it on will now.

"Brother I will be on the sand working on firebending. I picked up a few scrolls from a shop and decided to try them." I began as we neared the beach. He nodded in response. He was busy with whatever stupid thing he had in his hands.

 I stripped off my large over coat and placed it over a rock by the water. Then I returned to my spot a short distance away. The beach was on a crook of the island that was secluded, so I should be safe from anyone seeing.

I laid out the long firebending scroll out and followed the steps. I stood with feet shoulder length apart and had hands at the waist with a slight bend in my knee. Then, I pulled one hand forward and brought it back. Finally, I punched forward. Nothing.

I sighed and tried again, and again, and again. I had the move down perfectly, but I could not get fire to shoot out of my fist for the life of me. I sighed in frustration as I rubbed my temples. Taking a deep breath, I looked over the scroll once more.

"You know," a boys voice suddenly spoke which startled me. "You need to be a firebender to firebend." he walked out from behind large rocks on the beach.

"Please to meet you too." I rolled my eyes.

"The name's Gansu." he smirked. He didn't offer his hand which was impolite, but I pushed it off. It must be a common trait for earthbenders.

"My name is Tsukiko." I introduced myself confidently, but my mind eventually went back to the fact that he was watching me. "How long have you been watching me?" I questioned, throwing my defenses up a bit.

"Just a bit. I was curious as to why a waterbender was practicing firebending moves." he eyed me. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"You can learn more from the other nations by studying them and incorporating them in your own." I stumbled, but I forced myself to recover quickly.

"Nervous?" he smirked. I raised a brow with utter confidence and scoffed. I crossed my arms. "Nervousness has never existed in my vocabulary." venom dripped from my words.

"So, how good of a waterbender are you?" he changed the subject as he raised his brows and examined my body. That gesture alone made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I decided to lead him on a small white lie.

"I am from the Northern Water Tribe. Female waterbenders are not allowed to waterbend. We are only allowed to heal." I shrugged, rolling up my scrolls.

"So, tell me why you're here and alone on an abandoned beach when you are helpless." his hands were behind his back while a smirk resting on his lips.

"I never said I couldn't fight." I stated, a hiss intermixed with my words.

"Alright." he shrugged. I eyed him carefully as he walked once more around me. He seemed to have a problem with staring and observing.

"What do you want?" I finally snapped.

"Just getting to know the newbie in town. Goodbye, Tsukiko." he gave me a two finger salute, and with a wink he turned, and left.

"Good luck, Gansu." I sneered. I went to the rocks and grabbed the rest of the scrolls. I shrugged on my coat, and walked back to the ship. I went to my room and placed the scrolls in a large tall basket that sat in the corner of my room. I undressed and put on my pajamas and laid in bed. Kakuro placed his head on the edge of my mattress. I began to pet his head and soon found myself in a deep sleep with Gansu running in my mind.

Would I have to watch out for him? Should I tell Haku? Should we go camping? Should we go because I can keep us safe or stay on familiar turf which is our boat? Should we just leave and go to the mainland?

Waking with a yawn, I slowly sat up and got dressed in a slow way. I slugged on my water sack and then held my large coat in my arms as I headed for the kitchen. I made my brother and I fish It wasn't morning food, but it was food. I brought it to his room, and with a sing song voice, I commanded him up. He reluctantly got up and ate his food then began packing as did I.

I brought two pairs of clothes, pajamas and my warm outfit, then pack my sleeping bag and a small pillow. I worked on gearing all of this on Kakuro as he sat in my small yet large room. Quickly, I finished packing all of our necessities and stringing them on Kakuro's saddle.

I ventured up to the deck where my brother waited for me. Kakuro was on my heels in the process. I gave him a nod and with that we walked off the ship. I don't know how I feel about having everything we have unguarded and out in the open.

"Brother, why don't we sink the ship? I don't feel comfortable with it in the open." I suggested before we moved from our spot on the beach.

"I guess." he shrugged after some thought. Together, we created a water tight ice seal around the ship and sunk it. We secured it to the bottom of the ocean and then began our journey to the forest for a few nights.

"I am so very excited! In the books I have read it says that there are over a hundred types of trees! Do you think we will see any?" I asked blankly as we went through the village to get to the large forest.

"I believe we will at least see one type of tree but not one hundred." he reasoned, being realistic with a slight edge of sarcasm.

"Oh I can't wait! I have never seen so much vegetation before!" I exclaimed as we neared the thick forest. He rolled his eyes and for the rest of the time we walked in silence.That was until I was all of the trees up close.

"I have read many books on survival. I believe with my knowledge, we will be fine." I said looking at the animals and trees peering down at us. Kakuro growled slightly, but I just rolled my eyes at his over protectiveness.

"That's great." he laughed with a smile. We walked for an hour or so. We reached a clearing in the forest and decided to set up camp. I gathered wood while Haku set up our sleeping bags along with Kakuro's rug. I soon collected enough wood to last us the night, and began setting it up.

"Here, Tsuk. I got that. Why don't you go get us some berries." he hinted at my knowledge.

"I read a book on that too." I winked. I got up and began the search for berries. It was so much fun being here with my brother. I had no idea this is what the rest of the world looked like. It amused me greatly. I cannot wait to go further on our journey.

A/N:

This is tearing me apart. Ugh I'm so stressed with editing this, but I will do it.
I have to write my Creative Writing paragraph first, and I also have to read an Edger Allen Poe story for that class.

Wish me luck, and happy reading!

Edited: 02.02.17