3

"Good morning!" I said as I walked down the hallway at work. "Morning, V! Ready for a great day?" My coworker, Brandon, said as we went to the locker room.

"Oh, yeah. I got my book, and my patience. I'm ready to go." I said with a laugh as I put my bag in my locker.

"I'll see you later?" Brandon asked as I nodded and took a sip of my water. "Yep, good luck today." I said and saluted him before leaving the room so I could go do my first assignment.

Like I said, my job is super easy. I just had to sit and make sure that people didn't hurt themselves or others. Most of the time the people were chill and would just hang out. I would try to talk to them and get to know them so they wouldnt feel so alone.

Sometimes they were more violent and would try to fight me. That was when I would ignore them and just read. They usually had no interest in talking to me anyways.

"I'm gonna kill you." The patient in front of me said as I nodded. "I know, Jerry." I said and focused on my book. "I'm not kidding, bitch." He said then spat at me. "I know." I said but nonchalantly flipped the page I was reading.

"You're really pissing me off!" He yelled as I sighed and looked up from my book. "Why?" I asked as he writhed against his restraints. "Because you're not listening to me you bitch!" He spat as I chuckled.

"Well I'm not gonna engage in conversation with someone who wants to kill me, that's just dumb Jerry." I said then looked down at my book again. "You're dumb! I'm gonna murder you, you fucking whore!" He screamed as I nodded, focusing on my book again.

I actually got lost in my book, which was suprising because Jerry was being so loud.

I was reading about dementia, trying to figure out the best way to help my grandma. I was getting worried because she was getting worse and worse by the day. I never knew what to expect when I would go there, so that's why I was trying to read about it.

I must have gotten too lost in my book because before I knew it I was being yanked out of my chair and thrown up against the wall.

Jerry had somehow managed to get out of his restraints. "Fuck!" I screamed then reached for my pager only to be blocked my Jerry who ripped it out of my hand and threw it. "I told you I'd kill you, bitch." He growled as I started to panic.

"Help!!" I screamed as he punched my jaw, sending a wave of pain through my whole face. He wound back again with a wicked grin but was stopped by the two security guards that had rushed into the room.

"I'm gonna kill you!!" Jerry yelled in my face as the guards pulled him off of me so they could sedate him. I just watched as adrenaline coursed through my veins.

"Are you okay?!" My coworker, Susan, said as I nodded, opening and closing my jaw to make sure it was okay. I could taste blood in my mouth so he must have busted my lip too.

I watched at they dragged him back to the bed so they could put the restraints on him again. "I don't know how he got out." I mumbled as Suzy handed me a cloth to wipe my lip.

"Sometimes they can be pretty crafty. Are you sure you're okay?" She asked as I nodded. "Yeah, I'm good. Thanks for the quick response." I said to the guards. "It's what we do." One of them said with a smile as they left the room.

After the fiasco I was obviously sent to a different, more chill room. I was able to actually talk to the patient in that room so it made the day go by much faster.

When I was done with my work day I obviously went to visit grams. As I walked into the building, one of the nurses looked at me with a frown. "She's not doing well today. She's also getting a cold." She said as I sighed. "That's not good...how bad of a cold?" I asked as we walked to her room. "Not too bad, we're keeping a close eye on her." She said as I nodded and opened the door.