34

Sam and I stayed with Colby while he slept. The nurses brought us pillows and blankets so we could try and get comfortable but I couldn't get comfortable knowing Colby wasn't okay.

I just sat there and watched him, trying to understand what was happening. I wanted him to open his eyes so desperately but they said it might be a while before that happens.

"Violet you should sleep...you look exhausted." Sam said quietly as I shook my head. "There's no way." I said then reached over and grabbed a tissue so I could blow my nose and cough into it.

"At least let me get you some water and medicine.." He said as I shook my head again. "I'm fine." I said and caressed Colby's hand with my thumb.

"You can wake up baby..I know you're in pain but we want to see your eyes." I begged as Sam came over and wrapped a blanket around my shoulders.

"I'm so sorry this happened, V." He said quietly then sat down next to me again. "I don't know why you keep apologizing. It was an accident." I said and brought Colby's hand to my lips again.

"I don't know...I just feel so bad, it should have been me that got hurt. Surfing was my idea." He said as I breathed a small laugh. "Your back is already fragile. This might have killed you if it happened to you. It shouldn't have happened at all, but it did so now we just have to deal with it." I said as a nurse came in.

"Still not awake?" She asked as I shook my head. "Not yet." I said as she pulled a cart into the room. "Alright, I'm gonna try and get the water out of his lungs now so if you two could just step out for a minute." She said as I nodded and stood up.

"Stay strong for me, dork." I said quietly then walked out of the room. I honestly felt a little light headed but I wasn't going to say anything about it. It didn't matter how I was feeling right now.

When we got to the hallway Sam pulled me in for a hug. "You're trembling you know." He said as I nodded. "I'm scared." I said as he pulled away. "Yeah, I am too...let's go get some water or something. I'm worried about you." He said as I scoffed.

"Don't do that." I said but walked with him down the hallway anyways. "Don't do what?" He asked as we walked. "Worry about me." I said then stopped in front of the vending machine.

"I'm gonna worry about you. You've been through a lot, so I know how scary this is for you." He said and bought us a couple water bottles. "He's gonna be okay." I said with false confidence.

At this point I didn't know what was going to happen but I knew that Colby was strong.

He wasn't going to give up on me.

When we got back to the room the nurse was walking out. "He's stable so we switched him from the oxygen mask so the tube." She explained as I nodded. "Thank you." I said then walked back into the room.

It was hard seeing Colby in such a vulnerable state, but I had to stay strong for him and Sam. I knew this was an accident, but I also knew they would blame themselves for it happening.

"Please wake up for me." I whispered as I took his hand again. It was painful having him be right in front of me, but him not being awake.

It was cruel.

Sam eventually was able to fall asleep in the chair next to me but I couldn't sleep even if I wanted to. I just kept my eyes on Colby and on his heart monitor to make sure that he was okay.

I was lucky that I was in the medical field so I could check his vitals myself to know that he was doing okay.

"I love you." I whispered and laid and head on the bed, holding his hand. "W-w..." I heard Colby mumble, causing my head to snap up.

"Colby?" I asked and stood up, kicking Sam in the process. "Sam! Wake up!" I exclaimed as Colby's eyes fluttered open.

"Oh my god...get a nurse!" I yelled and brought my hand to Colby's cheek. "Hi, babe. You're okay. You're okay." I cooed as he looked around with foggy eyes.

"W-what happened?" He asked as I shook my head. "You were in an accident." I said as Sam came running into the room with a nurse.

"Ouch." Colby said as I took a step back so the nurse could check on him. "He's awake. Thank god he's awake" I said as Sam hugged me.

We watched as the nurse did a couple test with him, checking the mobility of his hands and feet. So far it was going well but I could tell how much pain he was in and it was breaking my heart.

"Can you feel this?" The nurse asked and brushed her pen along the bottom of his foot. "Kinda." He said as she nodded. "Okay, this one?" She asked and repeated it to the other foot.

"Kinda." Colby said again as my heart fluttered. "That's good, can you squeeze my hand?" The nurse asked and grabbed his hand. I watched as his fingers twitched slightly but he couldn't grab her hand fully.

"Okay, good. Get some rest, okay?" She asked then patted his leg gently before turning to us. "He's gonna be okay. We'll discuss physical therapy and other treatments later. Just try to get some rest and help keep him comfortable." She explained then left the room.

"What happened to me?" Colby grunted out as Sam and I got closer to him. "You don't remember?" Sam asked as I took Colby's hand, gently massaging it.

"No." He said and closed his eyes. "Well, we were surfing and you got caught in the current which slammed you against the rocks. Justin and I pulled you out but you were unconscious, I'm just so glad you're alive dude." Sam said as my eyes watered.

Colby smiled softly at Sam. "You think I'm a pussy or something? Of course I'm alive." He said then looked at me. "Don't cry, beautiful." He said quietly as I shook my head.

"You scared me." I said then kissed his hand again. "I'm sorry." He said as I shook my head. "Just get better. Okay, dork?" I asked as he closed his eyes and grinned slightly. "Mhmm." He mumbled then attempted to tighten his hand around mine.

"Just rest right now, baby." I said and rubbed his forearm gently. "Wait." He said and looked at me. "What?" I asked as he smirked. "I thought I put you on bedrest." He said as I laughed.

"No, dumbass. You put yourself on bedrest." I said and scrunched my nose at him. "I guess I did." He said then laid his head back.

"Get some rest. We'll be here when you wake up." I said then stood up and placed a gentle kiss on his lips. 

Sam left the room for a little while so he could make some phone calls. I just watched as Colby slept, since  I was still scared shitless that something would happen to him.

I was so grateful that he was okay and didn't have any signs of paralysis. I knew he had a long road to recovery which was going to be hard but if anyone could handle it, it was him.

I wanted to fall asleep since I was still feeling like ass but I couldn't get myself to do it. I just wanted to be awake and here for him in case he woke up.

It made me wonder if this is how it was when I got shot. I wondered if Colby would just stay awake, watching me just to make sure I was okay.

I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Sam came back after a little while then looked at me. "You doing okay?" He asked as I nodded. "I'm just happy he's okay." I whispered and smiled at him.

"Thanks for keeping me calm and getting him here safely. I know how hard that must have been for you." I said as he shrugged. "He's my best friend. I don't know what I would do without him." He said as I nodded.

"I don't know what you would have done either but it doesn't matter. He's okay." I said and rested my head on his shoulder.

I couldn't help but think that my guardian angels had something to do with this. With an accident so bad the chances of him making a full recovery was slim.

But he was gonna be okay.