45

"Are you sure you have to go to work?" Colby asked as he walked over and put his hands on my waist. "Yes, I'm 100% sure I have to go to work today." I said with a laugh and scrunched my nose at him.

"It's Halloween though! Who's gonna dress up as my sexy sidekick?" He asked causing me to laugh. "Well, Corey is single. You can ask him." I said then cupped his cheek and kissed him.

"I don't particularly want to work today either but it's a sacrifice I had to make when I decided to go back to work." I said as he breathed a laugh. "You're amazing, you know that?" He asked and studied my face.

"Yeah, but not as amazing as you." I said then kissed him again. "How's your back feeling?" I asked as he grinned. "I feel great. Only a few more weeks until I can ditch this thing." He said and pulled at his brace slightly.

Colby has been working so hard to get back to normal. The past couple weeks he's been going to physical therapy and even doing his stretches at home. It amazed me how quickly he was bouncing back.

"I'm so proud of you." I said then kissed him again. "And I'm proud of you for turning down a party with alcohol to go to work." He said causing me to laugh. "I know, I'm just so brave." I said then turned and grabbed my bag.

"I'll try to get out of there early, I'll keep you updated though." I said then blew him a kiss. "I love you." He said then caught the air kiss and put it in his pocket.  "I love you too, dork. Be careful tonight." I said then left the room.

When I went downstairs I heard Kat gasp. "Violet! Come taste this!" She said causing me to laugh. "What is it?" I asked as she handed me a cup. "Jungle juice." She said as I chuckled.

"You know I'm going to work, right?" I asked as she nodded. "One sip won't kill you." She said as I shrugged then took a sip. "Oh, that's dangerous." I said then pointed to the bowl of punch.

"It's good?" She asked as I nodded. "Good enough for me to contemplate calling in sick." I said then set the cup down. "Doooooo it." She said as I shook my head. "I can't, but have fun. I'm gonna be late." I said then took my keys.

"Bye, love you!" Kat called out as I walked out of the house.

I had to admit that I was having a hard time leaving the house tonight. I loved partying and letting loose and Halloween has always been my favorite holiday so having to work but just a huge disappointment.

When I got to the hospital I went to the locker room where Aisha and Peter were talking. "Hey, V!" Aisha said as I smiled and waved. "Hey, how's it been?" I asked and put my stuff in my locker.

"Slow as of now, people don't start doing dumb shit until tonight." Aisha said as I sat to change my shoes. "Right, I forgot." I said then threw my hair into a bun.

"Got any plans after work, V?" Peter asked as I nodded. "Yeah, there's a party at my house but I don't know if it will still be going on after we get out." I said then checked my assignments for the day.

"Fuck." I mumbled when I saw that I was in the pit today, meaning it would be more of a stitches day than an echo scan day.

I didn't mind doing stitches or anything like that but I was hoping for more of a chill day.

"What's wrong?" Peter asked as we walked. "Oh, I'm just in the pit today. No biggie, I'll catch you later." I said then went down to the ER.

"Violet!" Sophia called out as she passed me. "How are you?" She asked as I grabbed a pair of gloves. "I'm good, ready to get today over with." I said with a laugh as she nodded. "Girl, I feel you." She said as one of the EMTs wheeled in a patient.

"What's going on?" Sophia asked as we jogged over. "16 year old, cut herself carving a pumpkin." The EMT said then handed me the chart.

"It's not that deep, please just let me go. I have plans." The young girl said as she clutched a bloody cloth. "We'll be fast, don't worry." I said with a smile.

"Promise?" She asked as I shrugged. "I can't promise but I can say we'll do our best." I said as we wheeled her to bay 1.

"Is it gonna hurt?" She asked as I shook my head. "No, I'm gonna numb you. You shouldn't feel a thing." I said with a reassuring smile.

"You look kinda familiar." She said as I got to work. "Yeah, I get that a lot." I said with a smile. "You're really pretty." She said causing me to laugh. "Thank you, you're very sweet. What are your plans tonight?" I asked and grabbed the suture kit.

"It's my first halloween party...I'm really excited to go." She said as I nodded. "Well I'm already almost done so that's good." I said then winked and numbed her hand.

I finished stitching her up and keeping up a conversation with her as Sophia went to deal with another situation. I was able to stitch up her hand fairly fast which was good because it was starting to get busy already.

As the night went on the busier it got. I completely lost track of time as I ran around the ER, treating patients.

It was such a whirlwind that I didn't even realize that it was almost 11pm.

"You're good to go, Violet." Sophia said as I wrote my last notes on a chart. "Okay, thank you." I said with a grin then slowly made my way up to the locker room.

I didn't realize how exhausted I was until I got to the locker room. I didn't even have the energy to grab my stuff before I sat on one of the benches and scrubbed my face with my hands.

"You good?" Peter asked as I nodded. "Yeah, just exhausted." I said as he offered me an open bottle of water. "Thanks." I said then chugged it, not realizing how thirsty I actually was.

"Is your party still going on?" He asked as I shrugged. "No idea. Probably though, I'm too tired to even join though to be honest." I said with a laugh as he sat next to me.

"That sucks. What were you going to dress up as?" He asked as I laughed. "My boyfriend was gonna be Batman and I was gonna be Robin, but now he's going as a skeleton and I'm just a tired nurse." I said as he laughed.

"You're funny." Peter said as I shrugged and stood up, only to feel a little light headed. "Ooh." I said then grabbed onto my locker.

"You okay?" He asked as I nodded and sat back down. "Yeah, I guess I'm just a little dehydrated." I said then took another big sip of water.

I knew Colby would kill me if I passed out again from dehydration so I had to just take it slow I guess.

"Want me to walk you to your car? Just to make sure you don't pass out." Peter said as I shook my head. "I should be fine." I said then stood up and grabbed my stuff. I quickly changed my shoes since I was feeling more drowsy by the minute.

I just needed to get to the car so I could chill out for a minute.

"It will make me feel better." He said as I nodded. "Okay, fine." I said then stood up. "I should text Colby." I mumbled then walked towards the door.

I couldn't understand why I was this tired, I've worked shifts longer and busier than this. Maybe I was getting sick again.

"What?" Peter asked as we walked. "I don't remember." I slurred then reached for my keys. My hands were shaking so badly that I felt like I was about to seize up.

What was going on with me?

Peter wrapped his arm around my waist as we walked which usually would piss me off but right now I was leaning on him for support.

When we got to my car I tried to unlock the car but fumbled with the keys. "C-c-" I started but didn't finish as I felt myself starting to collapse.

"Shhhh...go to sleep." Peter said as my heart thumped against my chest. "W-w-w-" I started but felt my eyes roll back into my head as I collapsed.

I didn't remember anything else.