69

We dropped Sam off at his house then went back to Colby's house. The drive was silent since I didn't want to argue with Colby. I knew that he would be mad at me for wanting to text Daisy.

I knew he was upset about me wanting to give her a chance, but he just didn't understand.

Colby only saw the bad parts of Daisy. He didn't get to see the life long friendship that we had.

But was that even real?

I thought back to the last conversation we had, where she told me she just felt bad for me and that she never really liked me.

Maybe I just wanted so badly for her to want me, even though I didn't need her.

"What's on your mind, V?" Colby asked quietly, pulling me from my thoughts. "Oh...uh..nothing." I said as he scoffed. "Right. It's about Daisy isn't it?" He asked as I sighed.

"Yeah, I know it pisses you off and you don't want me to talk to her but I can't stop thinking about my dream." I said and looked down at my lap.

"It pisses me off, but I understand why you're having a hard time with it. She was there when your parents died." He said as I nodded. "She was there through everything until we went on that trip." I said quietly.

"Do you regret it?" He asked as my brow scrunched with confusion. "What?" I asked as he pulled into the driveway. "Do you regret going on the trip?" He asked as I shook my head.

"No. I don't regret it at all." I said and looked over at him as he nodded. "Okay." He said then started to get out of the car.

"Are you mad?" I asked as he huffed out a breath. "I'm a little annoyed." He admitted causing me to frown. "Colby.." I started but was interrupted. "Am I not good enough for you?" He asked and looked over at me. "Huh? What are you talking about?!" I asked and crossed my arms.

"All you've cared about since Daisy was released from prison has been Daisy. It's almost like you don't even care that she tried to kill you. You don't care that she tried to take you away from me." He said and slammed his door closed, getting back in the car.

"I obviously care about that Colby! Can you see where I'm coming from though?" I asked as he nodded. "Yes but no. Do you realize how abusive she was? Even before she shot you she was toxic." Colby explained as he gripped the steering wheel.

"I don't know what she was like before me but the entire time I've been around her I could see how abusive she was to you. Can't you understand that it would kill me to see you get back into that abusive relationship?" Colby asked quietly.

I could tell he was getting really emotional about this which I didn't really understand.

I knew he loved me but I didn't understand how this could effect him so much.

Then I remembered.

Colby was the one that was there for me when I got shot. He never left my side. It reminded me of when he broke his back, and how I was with him, unable to sleep as I watched him in the hospital bed.

I had to put myself in his shoes a little bit. I would have been angry at him if he was talking to me about going surfing again.

I would have been mad at him if he willingly was putting himself in harms way.

And that's exactly what I was doing.

I sighed then pulled out my phone, going to the text thread from Daisy. "What are you doing?" Colby asked as I deleted the thread. "Deleting the text. I'm sorry." I said then locked my phone and looked at him.

"I understand why you're upset, and you're right. It's a bad idea to talk to her. She's something from the past. You're my present and my future, and so is everyone else back in LA." I said and reached over to take his hand. "Violet..I don't want you to think I'm controlling you." Colby said as I shook my head and smiled slightly.

"I don't think that. I wasn't thinking..I'm sorry." I said and leaned over to kiss his cheek. "I'm sorry too." He said as we got out of the car. "Why are you sorry?" I asked as we made our way inside. "I'm sorry for accusing you." He said and stopped me from walking into the house.

"You were upset because you care about me." I said as he shook his head. "Maybe, but accusing you makes me just as bad as her." He said as I shook my head.

"No. You accusing me was what woke me up. It made me realize that you're right. You only said that because you love me. There's a huge difference between what you did and what Daisy used to do." I said and turned to him, cupping his cheek gently.

"I do love you. I love you so fucking much, and I never want to see you hurt. I know you want closure with Daisy, but its only going to get you hurt." Colby said as I nodded. "I know. I love you too." I said then raised up on my tiptoes to kiss him. He kissed me back and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close.

I melted into the kiss for a minute before pulling away. "Thank you for loving me." I whispered as he grinned. "The pleasures all mine." He said then opened the front door.

When we walked into the house Colby's parents were sitting in the living with Gage watching something on the tv.

"Oh! You're back just in time!" Colby's mom said as we took our jackets off. "What are you guys watching?" Colby asked and walked into the living room. "Home movies. Look how cute you are!" She cooed and pointed at the tv.

On the screen was a little version of Colby opening a Christmas present. He was wearing the cutest dinosaur pajamas and had the biggest smile on his face as he opened a power rangers toy.

"Oh my god, you were such a cutie!" I said and put my hands on my cheeks. The next clip that popped up was Colby in just his underwear running around the yard as Gage played catch with Mr. Brock.

"Mom! This is embarrassing.." Colby said and covered my eyes with his hand causing me to laugh. "Calm down, Colby! Everyone was a kid at some point. Speaking of kids, when are you having some?" Colby's mom asked as I choked on my spit and started coughing. "Mom!" Colby said as I covered my face with my hands.

"What?! I'm not getting any younger." She said and pouted her lip out at us. "Give us a couple years, mom." Colby said as I nodded. "Yeah, plus it's bad luck for the youngest to have a kid before the first born." I said then looked at Gage who was scowling at me playfully.

"No it's not." He said as I stuck my tongue out at him then shrugged and leaned into Colby as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Sorry." Colby whispered as he kissed my head. "Don't worry about it." I whispered as I kept my eyes on the screen.

We watched home videos for a while, which was really fun. It was cute to see Colby's childhood with my own eyes. It felt like I was a part of the family as I watched them all interact with each other and with the videos. Their family dynamic reminded me so much of the dynamic I had with my parents.

After a while Colby's dad ordered a pizza and set up some games so we could have a game night. It was honestly the most fun night I have had in so long.

Colby's parents were competitive which was funny because Gage and Colby just liked to mess with them and be bad at the games on purpose.

"Cole, a banana is not an instrument." Colby's dad said as Colby and Gage died of laughter. "It is if you bang it on the table. It makes a noise, thus making it an instrument." Colby said as I nodded. "He's got a point." I said as Colby's mom shook her head. "You three are so silly." She said then wrote a tally mark to be on our side of the score board.

The entire night basically went exactly like that. We played games and ate pizza until we all got tired and went to bed. Colby was just going to stay in my room with me since I couldn't handle the nightmares.

As I drifted off to sleep I couldn't help but feel like the luckiest girl in the world. Not only did I have Colby and a bunch of friends, but now I had a second family.

Colby's parents and brother got along with me so well it felt like I was in the family for real. I was glad that they were all still around because if Colby and I were to ever have kids they wouldn't feel the void of having no family around.

I was just happy to have them.