XVII

"Captain Rogers can you hear me?" One of the commandos called through the radio, Peggy heard this and ran over taking over the speaker. "Steve is that you are you alright?" Steve was trying to figure out the controls of Johann Schmidt, also known as red skulls 'Valkyrie'. "Peggy, Schmidt's dead" Peggy ran her hands through her hair sitting down next to the speaker "what about the plane?" Steve sighed as he was flying fast through the Arctic "that's a bit tougher to explain" Peggy got worried "give me your coordinates I'll find you a safe landing sight". Steve put his compass with the picture of Peggy on the controls "it's not gonna be a safe landing.... I'm gonna have to put her in the water" peggys heart broke she had finally found someone who she wanted to spend the rest of her life with and then it gets ripped away bit by bit. "Please don't do this we have time we can work it out" peggys voice cracked. Steve had tears in his eyes "Peggy this is my choice" there was a silence between the two for a while.

Tears welled in her eyes at the words that the love of her life could disappear for good. "Alright" Steve was pushing a few buttons at this time trying to figure out if he can control the aircraft. He took a relieved sigh as he figured out the controls "Peg I'm coming home" he said softly controlling the plane. Peggy smiled widely controlling her emotions as best as possible "where are you landing I'm coming" she said happily. Steve told her where he was landing "bring Evie too okay love?" Peggy smiled nodding "I'll bring her and we will be there as soon as possible, I will leave you to be with Dugan until you land" the line went flat and Peggy bolted out and got on a jet back home to collect Evelyn.

Arriving back at base Peggy walked quickly inside to go collect her when an agent approached her with a still, cold looking face. She immediately knew something had happened either to the baby or Steve. "Agent, the child was murdered" Peggy's  face dropped and a tear rolled down her cheek. She felt close to collapsing, crawling in a ball and sobbing, but she didn't she tried to keep her cool taking deep breaths. "Can I have colonel Phillips please" she said calmly, the agent nodded directing her to his office "also ma'am captain Rogers is there as well". Peggy walked swiftly to the colonels office shutting the door behind her and hugging Steve sobbing. Steve let a tear fall and rubbed her back pressing a kiss to her hair "you said you would protect her sir, what the hell happened" Steve rubbed her back "peg sit down honey just try and stay calm"