XVIII

"Stay calm? How do I stay calm I almost lost you and Evie's dead" she sat there and sobbed. Phillips stayed silent and Steve crouched in front of her so they could be eye level. He put a hand on her exposed knee and used his other hand to gently guide her chin up to look at him. She still had tears streaming down her face and was partially shaking. "Colonel would you give us a minute please" he said sternly. The colonel nodded "your removed from all duties for the rest of the week, you can return to your rooms..." he said standing up leaving the room.

Peggy looked in Steve's eyes tears streaming down them, he looked out the door to make sure no one was there, picked up Peggy bridal style and walked to his room closing the door behind them and placing her gently on the bed. She sat up taking deep breaths not being able to think straight. He got his army hoodie and sweats put them on the side of the bed and carefully undressed her being extremely gentle leaving her in just her panties he slid the sweat pants on her and put the hoodie on her picked her up and held her to his chest tightly rubbing her back. She just melted into him and cried, he buried his head in her hair and took deep breaths. "We will be okay Peggy, everything will work out in here for you" Peggy cried more "I thought you would leave me, I've lost my baby and then I almost lost you".

She pulled back cupping his cheeks "I can't lose you Steve I love you" Steve smiled and kisses her softly tears running down his cheeks "I love you too princess" Peggy smiled softly and hugged him. Steve put her down and walked into his bathroom, Peggy stood confused "Steve are you alright?" He walked out holding something behind his back, a red velvet box with a beautiful diamond ring inside.

"Peggy" he knelt down on one knee "I have known you since I was a tiny 5'4 man you have helped and protected me in so many ways that I thought would only ever happen in my dreams. Over the past several months I'm so glad that I have gotten to know you better and more on a personal level and I love you so so much more than anything" he took a deep breath pulling out the box from his back opening it and taking the ring out "Peggy darling will you marry me?"