33: A Friend or A Foe

"Why did you keep that information from us?!"

'Today has been filled with shouting and screaming that made my ears numb.

'It's funny how the blame is straying away from me.'

"It was because I just remembered it."

'Note to self that the heroine has bad memories like the villainess.'

"Seriously?" Celestine whispered feeling frustrated.

"But still that doesn't mean the church is pardoned." Knile's words shattered the glimmer and hope the heroine showed through her eyes.

"Yes you are right but we need to investigate the magicians." Duchess Aira said while looking down at the teacup she was holding.

"We don't have time to do it. The emperor is expecting us to solve the problem at today's meeting."  The empress stated as she looks indifferent.

"Why not ask the Wysteria's?" Knile suggested.

(Whenever I write 'knile' it changes to knife.)

'I'm probably digging my grave by now.'

"I see what you mean. Duchess Wysteria, any information available to benefit us?"

The said duchess observes everyone before saying a word.

"My son is in charge with the magic tower and the translation of the scriptures but that doesn't mean he and his comrades are to be condemned. They did what the high priest ordered them to do." She answered.

"So yo-"

A countess tried to express her opinion but the duchess immediately spoke.

"I see you are trying to blame us, countess."

'Wow, she's impressive..'

"House Wysteria and the church also don't have a good relationship. Both of us are still fighting over the land our house ruled yet the church proclaimed theirs. I see no reason why we should cooperate with them."

(Whenever I type wysteria, it always turn to hysteria)

'Ah, talking about a bad relationship. Does that mean she's also blaming the church? Wow, I didn't expect them to have such a grudge. If this proceeds then the church will be accused and not the magicians. The Empire will also be divided.'

' The commoners and the church against the monarch and nobility. Compared to how the heroine started the civil war, I didn't even have to convince people. They immediately got blinded by their beliefs. This also reminds me of the modern era. Though I'm not saying I'm an atheist, I'm just reminded of how people quarrel about beliefs and traditions.'

"So if what you said is true,-"

"It is true. House Wysteria pledge not to lie." The duchess quickly spoke.

'Ah, the plan to framed magicians failed..'

The villainess looks down, clenching her fist.

'With that kind of attitude and ways of speaking, you can't detect a lie.'

'I was planning on pointing out her lie but I never expected her to be this calm.'

She then raised her head.

'Duchess Aira looks convince, everyone looks convinced.'

'If I try to say something, I'm afraid Duchess Aira will suspect me. She's someone who can't be underestimated.'