64: The Missing Villainess

A new ark.

|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|•|••••••••⚜

"Your decision my lady?"

Ha... To think that you will come here this early...

You're so eager to settle things even though you knew you'll be disappointed.

Why did you even waste your energy coming down here?

Do you really need me? To the point of coming here after the night pass?

"The silent treatment again... At the very least, please look at me."

I can't even look at him. No, I refuse to look at him.

Do you think it would be that easy to trick me?

"Knile," his apathetic voice echoed throughout the dungeon but even so, I still refuse to look at him. "If you haven't made your decision today then I shall hear it tomorrow. Goodbye, and a pleasant day to you."

Yeah right.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Astaria's Pov

Three months....

Three months had passed after her successful escape.

A wide search was ordered by the royal family for the dangerous criminal but to no avail, every attempt was futile.

No traces were left and everyone was confused about where she went. The other empire (with whom we signed a peace treaty) help us but even with our vast connection, not a single person could find her. It's as if she disappeared.... But that's just rumors exaggerating it.

Shortly, after everyone lost hope in finding her, the beginning of chaos and destruction was blamed upon her father, the grand duke of Reiss. It terrifies me that people pass the blame to someone innocent and it also surprised me the duke accepted the blame with no fuss. Perhaps Knile's words changed him.

Anyway, if he denies the blame, it would pass and spread upon the nobles, including the royal family who prioritized their escape during the massacre. His denial would destroy the current regime because of his vast influence.

Rumors have it that the royal family should take half of the blame since they didn't help the commoners and nobles during Celestine's destruction. That rumor didn't spread further because Duke Reiss got arrested and Neville's speech convince everyone that the Royal Family is not to blame.

A trial soon commences with the royal family and nobles attending and he was deemed guilty for he didn't deny the accusation at all. Everyone felt at peace when someone took responsibility for her destruction which didn't make me happy, not at all.

In fact, I was uneasy. He has a vast connection across the empire correct? If people are devoted to him because of his contributions, they wouldn't feel happy. They would believe, he was rather forced.

Soon, that thought came true after some people, or rather his people started a secret organization dedicated to reforming the current regime and possibly freeing the Duke. Even though the Duke himself spoke of how guilty he was, his loyal people didn't believe it. They thought he was being forced and he wasn't. He was being honest and he regretted how he didn't properly look after his family, specifically Knile, but the revolutionaries denied his statements.

To fully convince the people, the Duke of Hyll surrendered his property, richness, and himself.

"I will also take the blame for this catastrophe my granddaughters started."