60: Why Am I Alive?

A sweet insane chuckle left her lips and her glowing eyes filled with blood lust glance back at his suffering victim.

Anger, frustration, and the desire to avoid one's tragic fate supported her to fight and injure him.

But how long will it last?

The passion to not die by their hands gave her hope.

A hope that was soon buried by despair the moment she felt some of her hair drop.

Behind her was Astley who miss her head by inches and cut strands of her locks, making it uneven. Black strands with crimson highlights dance with the air before dropping on the ground. Eyes widen in disbelief, she gritted her teeth as her pace increases.

"You bitch-"

The white knight abruptly stop and held his breath. Golden eyes filled with bitterness; he raised his arm, sword in hands, and furiously threw it towards her running figure.

Knile came to stop as her knees shook before dropping on the ground. Unexpected pain and weight stop her train of thoughts as she gasped. It suddenly became painful for her to breathe.

Hands trembling, she quickly glances at her side and saw blood soaking her dress. Below her chest was the blade that stabbed her. Her head lowered as tears of frustration began flowing down her bloody cheeks.

Tears and blood combined; her eyes burned with resentment, somehow hiding the failure.

'No...'

She thought as her gaze never abandoned her side. She was in deep shock she couldn't move. This was the moment she felt she was trap like a prey. The tiny amount of hope and confidence vanishes.

"You were laughing just a while ago." Voice devoid of emotions, he gripped her hair and pulled her face near his. Her orbs glowing with hatred met his blank ones, the damage she had given change him.

"Now you're crying?"

His hand found its way towards the blade and pulled it slowly. The pain she was experiencing, cause her to bite her tongue until it bleeds. Screaming and admitting that she really did fail to escape his grasp was something she won't show.

"You destroyed my twin's other eye, shall I also do the same thing with milady?"

He didn't give her time to speak as he raises his sword above her eyes, ready to impale it.

Knile did nothing but sigh as her eyes soften a bit. It won't kill her but the pain will haunt her. There was nothing to do other than submitting to fate.

This time she really did fail.

And there was nothing to do to save herself.

The blade neared her eyes and the distress caused those thoughts to be triggered.

A mere teenager acting as the villain..

It was thrilling and fun, now comes the suffering she didn't expect.

Celestine sacrifices herself for her sister to escape.

If only that girl didn't stop the execution Kyoko won't agonize more.

Knile's sight was getting blurry and she realized she was crying even more. Her eyes were focused on the coming blade she didn't notice the silhouette behind him. The blade change course and instead cut her cheek. The grip on her hair lessened and the blade fell on her side while Astley's figure followed.

"Knile,"

The familiar voice causes her tears to stop.

She then felt someone's arms wrap around her figure.

"I'm glad you're still breathing."

Celestia lifted her master and put Knile's left arm around her neck. Knile's figure leaned towards her and she started walking.

"We need to get out here. The exit is near."

Applying pressure to the wound, Knile gasp and turn towards her maid.

"Eh?.... C-celestia, how come? Why'd you come?"

The rustle of the leaves followed her question. The cold autumn wind blew some of Celestia's hair and the villainess saw tears threatening to leave her amethyst eyes. Seeing this, Knile muttered 'forget it' which wasn't left unknown.

'Ah, even though we don't know each other she's already attached to me.'

'But, am I really worthy to cry about? How did I even come to receive those tears? I only brought her back as a chess piece and she knew it but chooses to ignore.. Somehow, it feels as if she knew me..'

'But then again, I might just be lying to myself because I miss her... I'm using Celestia as a replacement because of their resemblance in order to give myself hope? That somehow I'm not alone in this world? Ha..... I don't know.. Everything is becoming complicated.. I just wanna di-'

"Celestia, kill me."

Hearing those words coming out from the girl she saw as her daughter crush her heart like any caring mother would feel after seeing their dead child.

Pinching Knile's arm, Celestia started running faster; causing discomfort to the villainess.

"If you really did care for me, give me a painless death. That's all I ask and after that, you'll be free from your debt."

Seeing a cave in front, the duo left the forest and entered the dark with sadness wavering behind Celestia.

"I've saved you back then, now it's your turn to save your master. This is a great opportunity for you since you'll be freed from your obligations to protect and serve me."

'That should do it. She wasn't crying because of me, she was crying because she failed to do her duty. The manga featured her past before the previous villainess murdered her. According to it, failing to fulfill missions and duties reminds or triggers her childhood. A princess that was abandoned because she was no longer useful to the royal family... Why is this so common in every story?'

Glancing at Celestia who abruptly stop to summon fire, she saw more sadness within her violet eyes.

'Eh?' The villainess was left dumbfounded as they continue walking towards the dark.

'Why? Just who is she?!'

That wasn't Celestia she knew through the manga.

'Unless Celestia change just like Celestine?'

'It must be another character development.... to somehow keep me alive...?'

.
.
.

'Eh..'

'Keep...me.. Alive?'

Clenching her fist, a realization hit her.

'Fate, are you this shitty? Why can't I receive the original punishment of a villainess? Why can't I die? Is this the retribution of not following the original route? But then again I wasn't the original Knile to begin with.. Does that mean my punishment is worst than death?'

"Why am I not dead yet?" Knile came to stop as her head lowered.

'Why can't I get what I want?'

"Didn't I order you to kill me?"

'That's it...'

'I've finished everything..'

'I brought terror and despair.'

'So why am I still alive?'

'Why am I still breathing the toxic oxygen surrounding me?' 

-------------
I just realize how I made my character suffer so much.