69: A Game Of Search

Hearing his ideas brought another wave of anxiety and excitement. The excitement of ending the game and having my hands on the item cause my anxieties to thrive.

But there's a huge problem.

"Kindly put ten apples and oranges on the basket."

"That would be three gold, sir."

How am I suppose to win this game when I know absolutely nothing?!

The seller gave the basket (that appeared out of nowhere) to him.

The village consists of an outdated and archaic temple, a market with few customers and repeatable items, an inn with no signs of tourist occupying, and a large plantation of plants that manage to survive through the winter.

Forest surrounded the village, causing it to be hidden nicely. Nothing strange happening. The constant long stares they threw at us makes me uncomfortable but it was nothing new since it seems as if they've never seen visitors for a while.

"The clues are in front of you."

He told me before stopping and inspecting the vegetables displayed. I quickly grabbed an orange and started peeling it.

"Thank you for the valuable information."

I already realize that.

"It appears your having a hard time, I believe it's reasonable for you to wander alone."

"I won't face any danger right?"

"You won't and if you will use the mana I gave you."

Glancing at his stoic face one last time, I sigh before I started walking away from him. This game may be where he will decide to trust me or not. I enjoyed the sweet taste of orange on a snowy day as I stroll.

My mission today is to find an ancient book hidden in this small village. A book that no one-- even the villagers doesn't recognize but surprisingly he knew.

An ancient book filled with dark spells and its creation was solely for people seeking havoc. In simple terms, something a dark magician would need to solve their problems. He mentioned it himself, that book knows how to recover my mana faster.

Instead of finding it himself, he chooses to give the honorable task to me. If I did get my hands on that item, I can endanger or conceivably slay him. He anticipates that but he still prefers to order me.

The game's goal?

Trust, or something like that.

Nevertheless, I should concentrate on finding it.

The door creaks slowly as I gave it a slight force. Gathering my confidence, I entered the rundown and outmoded temple.

The reason?

Nothing, I just feel like it. I mean, there's always something about temples and ancient stuff-- there's constantly a connection between them.

To my relief, no one was inside. The wooden floor screeches as I continued to observe the area. Candles and colorful glass pane gave light to the darkest corners and there was nothing extraordinary that frustrates me.

No statues, no books-- nothing. What even is this? How is this even a place for worship?

There are only some chairs and colorful glass panes with dragons being the main attraction. Even if there are some secret passages I doubt that. With this old layout, a slight movement of the earth's crust would destroy or bury the secret passages so it's quite unlikely.