56: Escaped The Realm Of Ignorance

"What did you do?!"

Celestine remained silent as she continues to blankly stare at Astley. The smell of iron bothered her senses as she brought her hand to her nose.

"Answer me Celest! What did you do?! Who the fuck is he?!"

His loud and furious voice attracted the attention of Rayll and Nash. The Duke's also heard him and decided not to interfere. Helping the commoners cope with the sudden blood bath was something they first need to solve. Furthermore, Knile heard them and decided to stay silent and listen. For now, gathering information is the top priority.

The man began chuckling at his outburst and this cause Astley to look at him in disgust.

"Celest, do you even know what you did?! You killed people! You did something unforgivable!"

An attempt to make the princess understand her actions seems futile. She looks like a broken puppet who cannot show regret and empathy. The truth hidden beneath her life of lies finally appeared which brought devastation.

"So what if she did?" The dark hooded man asks. "What will you do, execute her along with her sister?"

Astley's hands tightened into a fist. He badly wants to punch him into the face and wipe off that smirk but he doesn't have enough mana. Furthermore, he already used too much and realizes that he will lose if he did fight him.

"What? Cat got your tongue?"

"Shut up! Did you manipulate Celestine into doing this?! I've known her since we were kids and she will never do this!"

The man rubbed his shoulder as he tilted his head to look at Celestine. The said girl lowered her gaze and she was now staring at the puddle mixed with blood.

"What do you think princess? Did I manipulate you or was it you who seek help from me?" 

Astley stiffened at the question. He keeps denying the worst scenario his head can muster. His heart beat rapidly and he gulped.

"I-" Celestine managed to speak. Her knees started shaking and she lowered her head further, concealing her tears. Her emotions finally appeared but it wasn't directed at the people she massacred.

"N-no..." Astley clicked his tongue and look away. He was unable to look at her anymore. The thought of his childhood friend killing the people he was supposed to protect betrayed his heart.

"I ask him to help me. I don't want my sister to die... I-I don't want that."

Her feelings which she eradicated while murdering women and children didn't emerge as Astley thought. In fact, Astley was quite shocked about her desire to save her sister. His mind keeps tormenting him, repeating how he is torn in half between the princess and the people. Between them, who does he cared the most? He's currently in a state of confusion, her motive greatly bothers him.

"But why? You've hated her..." He whispered and Celestine heard it. Seeing Astley suppressing his anger in front of her made her heart devastated but it wasn't that awful compared to seeing Knile get burned.

"I've hated her because I was ignorant." She wrapped her arms around her fragile body while laughing bitterly.

"I've hated her because I was jealous. Jealous of what? Jealous of her getting experimented on and torture by mother?! Astley, do you even knew what that mother whom I loved dearly did to her? No... You don't. After learning the truth, everything finally made sense."

Her tears finally flowed down her face and she started sobbing. Astley took in sharp breathes as he slowly went to Celestine and kneeled in front of her. He then hugs her and rested his chin on her shaking shoulder.