Chapter 16

"Your father would never have aproved," said Uncle Anthony.

I sank my teeth into the succulent piece of meat I was busy chewing. The juices of lovely spiced flavours flooded my tongue subduing my otherwise violent retort to his unwanted speculation.

"You know nothing of what he would have thought. You never liked my dad," I reminded him. Despite his need to avenge their deaths, Uncle Anthony was never really fond of my dad. He had instead been as much adversed to my mother marrying my father as could be. But all that was put onto the back burner in the face of his pursuit of revenge.

"That matters not," he said shrugging indifferently as he too chewed on his portion of meat with relish. The food here was really good.

"If you want I could hook you up with any number of men who could help you with your problem," said Uncle Anthony generously.

I almost stared at him agape but saved myself from that embarrassment in time by recalling that my mouth was hardly empty.

"You were the reason I still have my problem as you put it. You chased away any man that expressed an interest in me," I reminded him almost bitterly, through yet another mouthful. Manners seemed to have absconded with its best friend, common sense.

"You were under my care then. I was your guardian. I was responsible for you and more importantly I was answerable to your dad. Thats no longer the case now," he shrugged indifferently.

I shook my head at him then exchanged an expression with Claude that clearly said can you believe that? I shook my head at his amused twitch to the lips and tried my best not to stare besottedly at his incredibly gorgeous face.

Smitten kitten, I was not!

"I am an adult now. Governed by my own rules. It matters not what you think. Or what dad would have thought either," I stated emphatically

"You're the only family I have left. You more than anyone know family is everything. Age of consent no longer matters. Especially when you decide to comsort with the enemy."

"Claude is not the enemy," I denied vehemently. "He's the mark."

"Don't let that pretty face sway you. You know better. He is and always will be the enemy. No matter how prettily he smirks."

I tossed an annoyed glance Claude's way to note that he was indeed smirking, and very prettily too.

"If he's stupid enough to try anything. I 'll kill him," I stated bluntly, more for Claude's benefit than my uncles. But his grin only widened as he let loose a light chuckle.