Chapter 15: Never Away

"(y/n) (l/n)!" A Scout in their regular uniform ran up to you as soon as your boat had docked. "Captain Levi is awaiting for you at HQ." You gave a nod, starting to climb into the carriage awaiting for you. With your hand, you beckoned Sasha to follow you- "Um, Braus, you stay."

That turned your attention back. Sasha had her hands on her hips with such a childish glare. "Huh?! What do you mean I'm staying?! Doesn't the captain-"

He interrupted her words, cutting clean and giving slight fear. He had no respect for her- despite Sasha being one of the seniors in the Survey Corps. That Scout was nothing but a rookie who didn't understand Sasha's distrust in others. "The captain ordered for him to come, but not you. The commander wants a word with you and the Warrior Cadets."

"Aren't they in the same place?!"

Then, it dawned on you. Something important must've been at hand if Captain Levi and Commander Hanji were separated. They are practically inseparable...

"Aren't you going to answer me?" Sasha continued her raging storm, stomping in place like a child. Then, she turned to you with reddened eyes. "I... I don't want to... (y/n)?" You wanted to run to her, to hold her tightly to let her know that you would never leave her side. But if this is what the higher ups say this is the right thing to do... 

"Sasha..." You whispered softly, beginning to walk towards her.

"(l/n)! The captain wanted you as soon as you landed. Please, let's hurry. The captain doesn't like to be waiting."

"Just... a few seconds." You gazed towards Sasha, who now has a kind smile. "A few seconds are all I need..."

The Scout sighed, pulling a pocket-watch out. He gave a nod, silently giving approval. "One minute is all we can spare. I won't tell the captain about this... missing minute. But please hurry. It's important."

You nodded, running to Sasha, wrapping your arms around her. Her head buried into your shoulder as she wrapped her arms around you. You could feel the tears fall from her cheeks... she began to cry, knowing she wouldn't see you for awhile. When it came to Captain Levi, aiding him would mean a dangerous task.

"Be safe, okay?" She whispers through her tears. "Promise me you'll be safe, (y/n)..."

"I promise," you say softly with a gentle smile, "I promise to be safe... and I promise that I will marry you once this is all over." Sasha remained silent, attempting to take it all in. "I promise... okay? I'll survive so we can live together. Please, survive for me..."

Sasha nodded her head. "I will..."

"I'll be gone now, but you know... I'll always be here for you, Sasha."

The Scout went up to you and Sasha, sighing. "It's been a minute. We have to leave, (l/n). Please, let's go. Captain Levi is waiting. If we wait any longer, he's going to kill us." Of course, it was just a joke- but a true joke.

You pulled away from Sasha, kissing her lips with a smile. "I'll be back soon, okay?"

Sasha sighed, wiping her tears. "Don't die on me." Then, your paths separated from her- at least, for now.