Chapter 5: Holding On

On horse-back, you rode with urgency towards HQ. But of course, it would've been about an hour ride back. As per usual, Sasha was bored within 20 minutes of the ride. Not even a second, she began to grumble softly of food. Majority of it was grumbling about wanting to have meat and something along the lines of bread.

"Want to have a race?" Sasha suggested with a grin on her face. "If we race, we can get there faster- how's that?"

"What would I gain when I win?" You asked, giving Sasha this startling, overexaggerated gasp. "My skills of riding can not be bested by anyone else-"

Interrupting you, Sasha gave a loud, "hyah!" and started galloping ahead. By the time you realized the started the race, she was already about 2-3 meters ahead. You could hear her call out, yet most of it was lost to the wind. Putting together her broken words, you think she might've said something along the lines of: "You owe me dinner!"

Kicking into the horse's thighs, your speed increased. Breathing steadily, you can hear your horse's breathing. How heavy it was... yet it's galloping seemed to be in perfect stride. Feeling like time would pause... everything seemed to be nothing but still. 

The world had spun into a tone of nothingness. Her close encounter to death was nothing but greatness. Labeled as nothing but a hero. Potentially rescuing someone. Who would've known what would happen if she was dead?

Closing your eyes and listening to the wind howling in your ears... you hear a faint, "hey!"

Once opened, you see Sasha was no longer ahead of you. Pumping with panic, you looked around to find where the girl was. Yet she was nowhere in sight. The only area you haven't checked was... behind.

You turned around, and there she was. Her horse struggling to keep a steady stride to gallop gracefully. Sasha had this expression that seemed to be... difficult to explain. How so? Her jaw was dropping to the ground, rage filled her determined eyes. You could see her mouthing some words, but the wind lifted them away from your ears. It would've been impossible to determine what she was saying without any context. But seeing that you were winning the race, you could only think she was cursing you.

*   *   *

Meters away from the headquarters, you slowed your stride. Chuckles arose from you, pride was puffing in front of your chest. You turned around, seeing Sasha arriving mere seconds after you. Sweat and dust covered her delicate skin- her anger showing on her rosy cheeks and bronze eyes.

"Unfair, (y/n)!"

"How is that unfair?" You questioned, chuckling as you started to trot on the grounds of headquarters. "Before we could even settle on something, you took on a head-start. Seems like I've won the race, you owe me dinner. Now... what I want is... hm... what is the most expensive yet the most delicious?"

Sasha quickly muttered, "meat..."

"Meat it is."

"I wanted that meat..."

"You lost."

Your laughter was soon cut short when there was a cold tone clearing his throat. Turning towards the noise, it nearly felt like all happiness drained out of you. There he was- Captain Levi Ackerman of the Survey Corps. Even though you fought with him, you thought yourself as unequal compared to him.

"Sir-"

"Hurry up inside- Hanji's waiting for you. Don't make her wait too much." Captain Levi turned around, scoffing. You faintly hear him say, "Dirty brats..."

"Ugh... that captain..." Sasha growled, trotting towards the stables. "Think he owns the world; shorties like him shouldn't have that much power..."

"Who are you more afraid of? Captain Levi or Commander Hanji?"

Sasha gave a chuckle, smiling brightly. "As much as I respect both of them, though sometimes I feel that I should follow orders than disobey them... I'm much more afraid of Commander Hanji..."

You tilted your head- compared to Captain Levi?

"Oh well... as the captain said... let's not make her wait..."