Chapter 3: Stolen

"Huh... where did it go...?" Section Commander Hanji sighs softly in the kitchen, peering over towards you. "Hey, (y/n), have you seen that small bag of meat that was here? It's missing..."

You shook your head, "No, I haven't seen it. Someone stole the meat?"

Hanji nodded her head and sighed, "Well, before there's a whole investigation on the missing meat, I'll just say I ate all the meat. Levi knows it's believable with me." She rose her hand and slowly walked out with a roll of bread in another. "Anyways, you should join me down in my lab, (y/n), rather than not training. Levi would have your head!"

You scoffed to her with a small grin, "Whatever..." And you proceeded outside to greet the warm sun. 

A slight breeze in the wind, and a faint scent of flowers filled the air. The warm sun laid above the land, free from the fear as it was hiding in safety above the clouds. Due to the position of it, it told that the time was noon. In a few seconds, the wind changed directions and blew harder than a gentle breeze. You quickly shielded your eyes from the wind, and you caught a glimpse of a shadow moving in the forest.

You removed your hand from your eyes, quickly running towards the shadow. The shadow moved swiftly, but not as quick. Perhaps they were conserving energy as they made their escape. You thought that this must've been the meat thief. Hanji wouldn't have to confess to a crime she never did. That's right- it was the right thing to do.

A few jumps here and there, you saw that the trees were getting closer together- darker. The bright sun that was high above the sky suddenly seem to fade away. It should've been noon, you thought, and you believed that there was no way it would've been nightfall already. Shadows began to hijack you, stealing the cold and causing you to shiver. You swore you could've saw your breath.

You shook your head, resisting against the shadow. It may have seen to be a cowardly move, but it was the smartest move. Your life was nothing if you were dead and lost in the woods. You turned heel, and start to walk back where you came from. 

But it seemed to get worse. Looking around, the trees looked nothing like the trees you remembered. The further you walked, the more afraid you grew that you would never make it out of the forest. 

Crack!

A whip-sounding noise echoed- only was less than a second. Your head quickly turned to the left; your breathing grew shallow. It could've been a predator. It could've been the shadow from earlier. 

"Eh... lost...?" That familiar voice- of course it was Sasha. She poked her head through the darkness, looking confusingly towards you with her caramel eyes. "Oh, (y/n), what are you doing in the forest."

"I think I was looking for you."

Sasha chuckles softly, walking forward- but only to trip on a tree root. She stumbles, letting out a cry of fear- but managed to keep footing well. The only thing that wasn't safe... was the meat that she hid in her jacket. As it slipped out of her jacket, she squealed and went off towards it. 

"S-Sasha?"

You looked deadly towards her, seeing that she was the one who stole the meat from the kitchens. Her eyes were glinting with slyness and she hid herself back in shadows. "Ahh... y-you saw nothing..."

With her nervous chuckles, you nodded your head and gave a small smile. "Even though it's wrong, I'll let you slide just this once."

"Ahh... thank you!"

"Now, I remember that you were hunter from your files... you know the way out?"

Energetically, she nods her head and her eyes began to gleam. "Heck yeah. Now... based on the wind and how these trees are like... we should head... this way."

In due time, Sasha finally led you outside and the sun was slightly fading down behind the walls. She gave a quick, sly smile towards you, "Hah, we're out."

"Thanks- and no more stealing."

She nods and quickly makes her way out of the forest's entrance, retreating towards her cabin. You smile gently, quickly realizing that you chose the young woman over Hanji for the stolen meat. Now, Hanji would be yelled at- but at least it wasn't Sasha... because the meat wasn't the only thing that she stole... but you...