Chapter 22: The Ending Meant to Be

"Ah!" Sasha began to freak out as she scrambled through the kitchen. Her hair was frizzled like she kept running her fingers through her hair multiple times. "Hazel! Stop scrabbling- (y/n)!" She shouts at you as you quickly scooped your 4 year old daughter. 

"Hazel," you began, sighing heavily, "causing trouble for Mommy still?"

She gave that mischievous smile, giggling. Her eyes as brown as her mother's as well as her lushes reddish-brown hair flowing down her back. Her laughter resembles yours. "No... I am not!"

"Oh? Really? Hazel..."

Hazel then squirms out of your grasp, falling to her feet and making her escape. Sasha gave a heavy sigh, shaking her head. "I think I need something to eat... she's very exhausting to deal with... say, (y/n), are you heading to HQ still?"

"Yeah, I am. Did you want me to ask the commander something? I mean... after all, you are expecting our second child..."

Sasha gave another heavy sigh, shaking her head. "Yeah... the captain isn't going to be very happy. But then again, there are no titans to kill. So he can't be completely angry about me taking this much time off. After all, I still have to take care of Hazel."

"I won't be long, Sasha..." You say, reaching for her hand. "I promise, okay?"

"Okay-"

"Don't leave, Daddy!" Hazel quickly darts to you, pulling down at your uniform. "Please don't go! Please, please, please! I wanna go hunting with you! Mommy won't go with me anymore! I wanna go... please?"

You sigh heavily, knowing Sasha wasn't going to teach little Hazel until she was older and when Sasha was no longer carrying your second child. "Maybe next time, okay? I have to go and report to the Survey Corps. Maybe... maybe I can convince I can show you around. I have to ask for permission though. But I promise I'll ask."

Hazel, sighing softly, shook her head. Still in denial. "I... I don't want you to go..."

Sasha then put her hands on Hazel's small shoulders, smiling softly. "Don't you worry, Hazel. He'll be back soon- I need your help, okay? Please? For me?"

"Listen to your mother, Hazel."

Reluctantly, Hazel nodded her head and gave a bright smile with her eyes sparkling gold. "Mhm! Okay, Daddy! But promise to play with me, okay? Please?"

"I promise."

Her happiness could not be contained any longer. Bursting with joy, Hazel smiled and threw her arms in the air as high as she could. Even had a little pounce to it. Sasha, smiled, giving you a small kiss before you left. You knew that smile before- that smile when she was in debt as you saved her life on that life-changing day. That smile when she was scared things might go wrong in Marley. That smile when you were on the boat back to Paradis. That smiled seemed to be everywhere.

It was a smile filled with distraught and despair. 

But mostly, it could've been for hope.

"Be safe..."

"I will." You replied to her words, kissing her back.

Down below, Hazel gave a groan before muttering, "Ewww..."

You pat her head, chuckling. "I'll be back, Hazel- help your mommy, okay? I won't be long."

Walking out of the hut, Hazel ran out the door, waving and shouting at you. A joyful tone that will forever remain in your heart. "I love you, Daddy!"

"I love you too, Hazel!"

As you walked away, did you think this was the right ending? Was this the right thing to do? What would've happened if Sasha had died if you didn't save her? This had to be the right ending... right?