Mo' Danger, Mo' Problems (3)

3rd View

Maebel rapidly shook her hands as the pit in her stomach grew larger. It was nearly midnight and she struggled to go to sleep because she couldn't stop thinking of what she needed to ask Ray. So instead, she went down to the Man Cave, where Ray was, and asked if she could talk to him, of course, he said yes.

"So, you know when we went to Jasper's birthday party?" Maebel began.

Ray nodded his head and furrowed his eyebrows. Ray sat on the couch, in casual attire. His leg was slung over his other, as his arm rested on the back of the couch. He listened to her intently.

"Well, Charlotte had mentioned something to me when we first introduced ourselves, then Henry suggested something that I thought was a great idea for me," 

Maebel rubbed her palms together. She wouldn't normally get nervous about asking Ray for something, but when it came to something personal, or something that could probably risk her secret identity being revealed, it was nerve-wracking.

"Henry suggested something?" Ray emphasized the word 'suggested.'

Maebel nodded.

"And what was that something?" Ray asked, standing.

She paused and bit her lip, watching his movement carefully, "That I could go to school,"

Ray sighed and moved over to the control center.

"Ray, please?"

"No," Ray looked at her sternly.

"But-"

"What if someone were to find out who you are? What if someone found out your secret identity, they take you, find out everything you know, and then they come here and take me and Henry, too?" 

"But, how would they find out? You know I won't tell anyone," she pleaded.

In her head, she was thinking of all the possible ways this could wrong.

"What if someone slams your head against a locker? You won't bleed, they'll know something is up," Ray looked down to his pear pad.

Maebel's eyebrows furrowed, "Why would someone slam my head against a locker?"

"It could happen,"

She rolled her eyes at her father-figure. One of his good qualities was that he was fun-loving, but sometimes, it wasn't in the most appropriate setting, or it just annoyed her. Ray looked into the equipment drawer, pulled out a small black watch, and walked across the Man Cave again, Maebel followed his every footstep.

"Okay, but, I'll be with Henry all day," she informed, referencing to her blonde coworker, "You can tell him to keep an eye on me."

"Maebel," Ray stopped to turn his attention to the pleading girl, "If you have to have a babysitter at school, you shouldn't be going,"

Maebel looked down to her feet then back up to meet his gaze, "Please, just think about it. Just give me a chance to live a some-what normal life," 

Maebel turned away from him and headed up the stairs to the sprocket, but stopped upon hearing the secret door open then shut. She sighed and plopped down on the metal steps, resting her chin in her palm. The elevator dinged and out stumbled her friend Henry. He was wearing pajama pants, house shoes, and a long sleeve shirt. She straightened her poster a little.

Henry panted, "He's gotta fix that elevator."

Maebel chuckled.

"What up, Mae?" Henry smiled at her.