Kid Grounded (20)

Danger Girl stood peering down into the manhole Kid Danger was in, watching as he swaddled a baby up. Captain Man slowly walked in their direction as sirens wailed around them.

"Hey!" Kid Danger exclaimed, "Hey, I got another one,"

Henry stood, revealing a baby wrapped in a patterned blanket.

Ray kneeled beside him and reached for the infant, "Aw, what a cute baby," he cooed standing, "Aw, aren't you a cute little guy?"

A nurse, who walked over, reached for the child.

"Here," Ray's baby talk settled.

Maebel stared at him incredulously before looking down at her sidekick, "Man, how many babies did she have down there?"

Henry looked to his feet, "I'm not sure. I'll check for more," he ducked again.

Ray knelt by his side once more.

"Hello?" Henry called out, "Are there anymore babies down here? Hello?"

Maebel looked up to the woman sitting on a barrel, pigging on cheese. She sighed and began walking over to her slowly.

"Ma'am," Maebel began, "can I talk with you?"

The woman shrugged, irritated, "What?"

"Could you stop eating the cheese for a minute?" Maebel scowled.

The woman sat the block of cheese next to her and gave the superhero her attention.

"Did you really think it was a good idea to crawl down into a sewer to give birth?" Maebel furrowed her eyebrows.

The woman stood, getting in Maebel's face, "That's how we do it where I come from,"

Maebel scrunched her face in disgust, "Where do you come from?"

"The sewer!" The woman yelled.

Maebel gagged at the smell of the woman's breath and moved back to her companions.

"Okay," Henry lifted an infant out of the manhole, "I think this is the last baby," he gently placed the child into the nurse's arms.

"Hey, kids, why don't you knock off and go home?" Ray shrugged, still kneeling next to Henry.

"You sure?" Henry asked crawling out of the sewer.

"Yeah, it's already past midnight and you and Maebel got school in the morning," Ray shrugged, following Henry's actions in standing.

"So, I'll meet you at the Man Cave?" Maebel looked to Ray.

Before Ray could answer, the woman let out a cry.

"Oh!" She gripped her side, "I think I'm going to have me another baby!"

"Oh no," Ray grumbled.

"Another one?" Henry gaped.

"I got to get back in that sewer," she started towards it.

Ray, Henry, and Maebel rushed to hold the woman back, struggling against the woman's refusal to give a normal birth.

***

Maebel sat on the couch next to Ray, who was reading a book about Cinematography, scrolling through her phone out of boredom. She looked up upon hearing the secret door opening.

Schwoz came bouncing out holding a potted yellow flower in his hands, "Hey, Ray, Maebel,"

Ray looked up to the foreign man.

Schwoz set the flower on the back of the couch and smiled at the two, "Sniff this flower,"

"No," Ray closed his book and dropped it on the couch.