Jasper Danger (7)

It was that time of the year again, Ray's favorite holiday, Halloween. As routine, he had gotten us matching costumes. When I was eleven, our costumes were peanut butter and jelly, last year was salt and pepper, this year, I just hope it wasn't food. I was walking down the hall to class, when Henry came running up to me.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" He asked, putting his hand on my bicep to stop me.

I nodded, "About?"

"I just wanted to talk to you about what happened in your room the other day," he furrowed his eyebrows.

My face fell, "Oh?"

"What was that exactly?" He asked.

"A friend asking another friend about their Chemistry homework," I shrugged.

He smiled, "No, you know what I mean. We almost, you know," 

I sighed, "What do you think that was?"

I dug my hands into my pockets and started to rock back and forth on my feet, already feeling nervous.

"I think," he shrugged, "Two friends were standing in one room," he glanced below my eyes, "leaning in," he started tilting towards me, "nearly kissing," his breath rolled across my face, "but they got caught, so they couldn't."

I stared into his brown eyes as he stared back into my blue ones.

I sighed and backed up away from him, "We can't do this, Henry," I mumbled.

His eyebrows furrowed, "Why not?" He asked.

"Because," I paused, "We work together and-"

"It's because we work together that makes you not want this to happen?"

"Henry, you're a coworker, a classmate, and a friend. What's going to happen if you break up with me, or I break up with you, and we break each other's hearts?" I shrugged.

Henry looked down, "That won't happen,"

"You don't know that," I said, "Don't get me wrong, Henry, it's no secret that we like each other, but, we have to think about this. Let's go to class and talk over this whole thing later, okay?"

He nodded, "That's probably for the best,"

I started walking to Puerto Rican History, before noticing Henry wasn't walking with me. I rolled my eyes and turned back around to find Henry giving me puppy dog eyes. I shook my head and drug him by his sleeve. Walking in through the door, Charlotte was staring at something.

"Hey, Char," I beamed.

"Look," Charlotte demanded, gesturing to Jasper, who was talking to a girl, "He's doing it again."

"What, Jasper?" Henry shrugged.

"Yeah," Charlotte said, "He keeps trying to make that girl Monica think he's Kid Danger."

Henry laughed, "Oh man,"

My stomach did a back-flip at the sound.

"At least she's not rejecting him," Henry said.

I rolled my eyes.

"What are you talking about?" Charlotte asked.

"Oh, Maebel and I almost kissed. Twice," his attention never left Jasper, "The second time was right before we got here,"

I sighed and clamped my eyes shut out of frustration.

"Whoa!" Charlotte exclaimed, "You two almost kissed?"