Henry and the Bad Girl - Pt 1 (23)

3rd View

Maebel chuckled silently at Henry's joke as she pushed the door to Junk-N-Stuff open. She looked up at Ray with a smile.

"Hey, Ray," she jumped the stairs to the shop, "What's poopin?"

Ray looked down to his watch, "You guys are late for work,"

Maebel scrunched her eyebrows together at his tone.

Henry pulled out his phone to check the time, "It's only 3:31,"

"We're one minute late," Charlotte shrugged.

"Yeah," Ray rasped, "You know how much crime can happen in one minute?"

"No," Henry shook his head.

"How much?" Charlotte asked.

Ray stood from his spot, "I don't know, but none of us are going to rest till we catch these dang Wall Dogs,"

Maebel blinked and moved to the other side of Ray, "Okay, chill out,"

"It's just a graffiti gang," Charlotte said, following her friends actions.

"That's right," Ray exaggerated, "And graffiti is a crime,"

Maebel shared a look with the girl next to her, "Are you okay?" 

"Because we don't get why you're this upset about graffiti," Henry said solemnly.

Ray's face fell, "Do you wanna get it? Do you?"

Charlotte stuttered, "I don't know,"

"I really don't care either way," Henry shrugged.

Maebel nudged the boy lightly.

Ray looked off into the distance with such emotion, looking like he was going to cry, "It was thirty years ago. It was long before I was indestructible, oh that day,"

"Yay, yay, what a great day this is," four year old Ray beamed as he ran around the small yard with a stick horse in his hand.

Suddenly, the fence gate swung open, revealing three young troublesome boys, and one girl.

"Hey, what's up?" A boy with curly hair said.

Young Ray turned to look at the group with a smile, "Oh, hi. My name's Ray. Do you guys wanna play?"

Another boy with shaggy hair peered down at the four year old, "Yeah, we want to play,"

Him and the curly headed boy marched forward, the curly haired boy throwing Ray's stick horse into the bushes as they latched onto both of his arms, spreading them wide and making sure he couldn't escape.

"Hey, hey," Ray protested.

A boy with a backwards cap on and the girl pulled out spray paint from a bag.

"Do his playhouse," the curly haired boy commanded, "Get it good,"

The two painters began to work on the plastic building, designing falsely intricate swirls on the roof.

"No! Not my playhouse!" Ray struggled to get out of the boys' grasps.

The two painters carried on.

"Don't! No graffiti! This is something I'll never forget!"

"I never forgot it," Ray turned away from the three teens sadly and sat on the cushioned bench.