Tears of the Jolly Beetle (5)

The honor of Kid Danger hung over Henry's head like a crystal chandelier. The city council decided to host an award ceremony for, not only him but Ray and Maebel as well. After everything that had happened in the past two weeks, Maebel was glad they were being recognized, and she was happy that Henry could be there with her and Ray to take said honor.

Maebel thought about all that had happened between Danger Girl, Captain Man, and their new sidekick, Kid Danger. She would be lying if she said she knew Henry wouldn't have flaked on the two, however, he stood on the stage proudly awaiting his medal, which he earned. There the three stood, patiently waiting on the stage of the city hall, being watched by a crowd of civilians, listening to the vice mayor give a speech about them, and waiting to be rewarded.

"...to fight that crime. And, luckily, Swellview has the best crime fighters of all, and so, my fellow Swellviewians, as vice mayor of this fine city, I present these medals of recognition for bravery and community service, to our very own Captain Man, Danger Girl, and Kid Danger," the vice mayor said.

The crowd cheered as Mrs. Swellview placed the medals around each of the heroes necks.

"Oh," the man continued, "and please accept this coupon for one free medium frozen yogurt," the man handed the coupon to Captain Man.

Maebel furrowed her eyebrows.

"Wow," Captain Man deadpans.

"Each?" Asked Kid Danger.

The vice mayor glanced back at them, "No, you'll have to split the yogurt," he walked to his seat.

Maebel walked up to the podium with a smile, "Thank you, vice mayor, and thank you, citizens of Swellview. We appreciate the amount of support and every emergency you call in because that lets us know we are doing a good job, and we should continue," the girl waved at the crowd.

"Whoo!" Jasper cheered from the audience, "That's my girl!"

Maebel scrunch her face in disgust, "Captain Man?" She backed away from the podium, looking over to Ray to tell him he should speak.

Ray stepped up, "What Danger Girl also neglected to say,"

Maebel pursed her lips and shook her head.

"Was that, we also appreciate these medals and the yogurt, which we'll share," he gestured to the coupon, "Kid Danger, you're up."

The crowd cheered loudly for Kid Danger as he stepped up to the podium. 

"We love you, Kid Danger!" Henry's little sister, Piper, screeched from the audience.

Henry started to read off the card he wrote, "Even though I've only been Captain Man and Danger Girl's sidekick for a short time, I really-"

Music cut him off and the people in the audience started to disperse. 

"Wha- seriously? They're playing me off?" Henry's eyebrows furrowed.

"I think there was a time limit," Ray said.

Henry shrugged.

Someone whistled in Maebel's direction, "You kids, come here," the man beckoned for Danger Girl and Kid Danger to go over there, "I wanna get a picture of you two."