Birthday Girl Down (9)

Maebel

Last week had been crazy dealing with the alien bug thing, Henry, and my feelings toward him. After the talk with him in his room, things got better. It was only a little awkward, we got closer, and I've been able to sleep. Charlotte had asked me if everything was okay with him, and after telling her everything that happened, she was happy for me. She told me that she watched Henry bounce from girl to girl and that she didn't want me to get caught up in that. I understood her, but she was hard to believe. I found it hard to imagine Henry playing multiple girls.

Henry invited me over to his house to study with him, Charlotte, Jasper, and Flashback for our science test. We were going over the elements on the periodic table. I sat next to Henry, scrolling through the list of elements.

"Okay..." Charlotte held up her tablet.

"Boron, okay. Atomic number five, category: metalloid," Jasper said.

Charlotte retracted her hand.

"Doesn't your grandfather have metalloids?" Henry asked.

"Yeah, he can't sit down," Charlotte shrugged.

Jasper held up his tablet to Henry.

Henry sat up, "Canadium..."

I furrowed my eyebrows.

"A person from Canada...mium, personality: Canadian-ish," he trailed.

I leaned forward, "It's cadmium,"

"Atomic number forty-eight, category: transition metal," Charlotte and I said in unison.

"Oh!" Henry clapped his hands, "And once again Maebel and Charlotte get the answer right,"

"Shocker," Jasper clapped.

"Didn't see that coming," Flashback joined in.

I clicked my tongue, "Yeah, too bad we don't know the atomic number for idiot boys," I stood and walked into the kitchen.

The three boys cheered at my remark.

"Good for you, Mae," Henry smirked at me.

I bit my lip.

"So, hey, what are we all doing Saturday night?" Henry asked.

The room went silent. I choked on the water I had gotten out of the fridge. Charlotte told me their plans for that weekend, but they couldn't tell Henry, and she asked me not to say anything as well.

"Um," I walked over, "I'm going to be playing miniature golf, you should come," I sat next to him.

"What about them?" He gestured to the other three.

"They'll be fine," I shrugged them off.

Charlotte sighed, "He's gonna find out,"

"Well, I'm not telling him," Jasper raised his hands out of defense.

"What?" Henry asked.

The other three looked away from him.

"Come on, no secrets," Henry stated.

I snorted, "No secrets' my butt," I stared him down.

He shook his head at me, "Not right now,"

I rolled my eyes.

"Flashback," Henry looked at him.

"Why are you asking me?" The boy said, "This is the first time I've even been invited to your house,"